Thread: What happened to wood stock hunting bolt actions??

What happened to wood stock hunting bolt actions??

I was recently looking at standard bolt action hunting rifles recently and noticed about 95% of them are all synthetic stock rifles.

20 years ago when they were gaining popularity, it was probably about 80% wood to 20% synthetic stock ratio.

I understand the advantage to a synthetic stock with with either a stainless or a good weather resistant finish, but why the demise of the option of a wood stock?

Maybe I am just getting old and have a new found appreciation for a nice walnut stock, but it would be nice to have the option of a wood stock, without having a limited selection or having to pay a premium to get a rifle with a wood stock.

There are plenty of wood bolt actions in safari grade.

I just read yesterday or day before that the industry is happy with the trend to SS/Syn because walnut has become so expensive they can't compete on price if they have to provide a walnut stock.

I have had and also enjoyed synthetic stocked hunting rifles. Like you said though, seems I tend to enjoy my wood ones better. I also am in the market for a hunting rifle, was really hoping to score a wood stock too. Looks like ill have to settle for a used one to get into my price point, as you said, a factory wood stock comes with a premium nowadays. Tikka/Sako etc make fine hunting rifles, but are at the higher end of what most hunters want in an average hunting bolt gun.

Marksman
    I hear that not long ago I picked up a Mini 14 (yes I know it`s not a bolt rifle) and all they had were synthetic stocks in stock and I wanted a wood stock, I guess I have to live with it. It seams like a nice wood stock is hard to find. here you go a pic of a nice wood stock bolt gun its from 1952 though.

Weatherby Vanguard is about the nicest wood stock I have found for the price, $614.00 at Buds, but is still priced pretty high compared to the same rifle in synthetic.
    http://www.weatherby.com/product/rif...uard_2/sporter

Tikka also has a walnut offering and it runs about $635.00
    http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...T3+Hunter+.308

The big 3, Ruger, Remington and Winchester are all going to run $1000+ for walnut and that is if they even offer it. I dont think I found anything by Savage, most of their stuff is synthetic until you get into the varmint stuff and those are laminates.

An impulse purchase based mostly on the Bishop stock. I have no real use for it except to pet the pretty walnut.

It's a 1917 Enfield action and original .30-06 barrel with solid Weaver bases.

Quote Originally Posted by handcaster View Post
    An impulse purchase based mostly on the Bishop stock. I have no real use for it except to pet the pretty walnut.

It's a 1917 Enfield action and original .30-06 barrel with solid Weaver bases.
    That is a damn fine looking stock! It's really a shame that synthetic is taking over but it may begin to open up a collector market for these nice older rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinus211 View Post
    That is a damn fine looking stock! It's really a shame that synthetic is taking over but it may begin to open up a collector market for these nice older rifles.
    It'll take awhile yet. Lots of younger buyers who didn't grow up with walnut. When one like this Enfield shows up the first impression is 'untrustworthy.' No matter all us old farts have trusted them for nearly a century. ;>) They languish on our site for $350 when a used Ruger American sells for $450 in plastic.

I remember Colt 1911s selling in the '50s for $17 through the DCM, M1903/A3s for $14. I bought my DCM Winchester M1 for $165 delivered to the door during the '80s. Their value today is reduced if they've been changed from original.
    Upriver's gorgeous 1952 rifle will bring premium money on today's market while mine won't sell at all. Partly because the Bishop stock, while practical for good cheek welding, ain't tactical and ain't original - in fact was sort of faddish. Unless the fad comes back, they'll probably just fade.

Marksman
    Oh it will not bring a premium It is not leaving me EVER. I had to trade one of my Pre-lock 686+ for that. I have to admit I don`t shoot her much but that bolt cycles like greased glass and just feels good to use. Now I just have to get the scope Zeroed.

I ended up building my own wood stock hunting rifle.
    Boyds stock
    R700 308 winchester
    Leupold 4-12LR scope
    weight approx 7.5# tops.

This thing is very light and a joy to carry around the woods. I trimmed the barrel down and re crowned it.
    I took my time and waited for everything to be on sale, so did pretty well, building my own set up. I figure I have about $525.00 into the rifle. I bought it on sale at Cabelas, with a rebate, so di well there and the Boyds stocks are always reasonable. The scope rings and base, I also bought when on sale, so save some $$ there too.

www.seattleguns.net

Careful man, there's a beverage here!