Thread: I have issues! .308 handlo

Junior Shooter

I have issues! .308 handlo

Need the pro's to weigh in as I'm about to pull what little hair I have out! I've been loading .308 Sierra 168gr MK with 43.0gr Varget, CCI 200 and consistently grouping 1/2 MOA or better at 300 yards, however, can't shoot a 1 MOA at 600 yards. Muzzle vel is running about 2595 so I really feel I'm still sub sonic at 600. Neck tension is .001 - .0015", ES and SD are at single digits (or very close). I just think that a great 300 yard load should be a good 600 yard load. Thoughts?

Second problem, loading on a Forster Co-Ax with their micro seating due. My issue is the variance I'm seeing in seating depth. It is very frustrating to set the Die up to seat to 2.250" and one is fine and the next seats .003 - .005" over or under! To get it right I have to back up .005 - .007" and creep up on the target length. Sometime when I need .003" and rotate dial 3 clicks it's spot on. The next time those same 3 clicks might equal .005" or may only move it .001". It makes no sense to me.

Thank in advance for help with these problems.

Marksman
    My understanding is when bullets go from supersonic to subsonic, it causes a bullet to feel the shock wave. Once that happens, flight has to re-stabilize or not.
    Complicated way to say you might need more speed to hit you expectations on accuracy at 600.

Do we have any former snipers who can add to the discussion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Junior Shooter
    After reading my post I see I wrote "subsonic" in error. I meant to say that at 600 yards I'm still transonic so stability shouldn't be the issue. I'm hearing that the Sierra 168gr HTBT is not the best choice for 600. Have been encouraged to either go 155gr or 175gr, so I'm going to try that. Thanks for your help.

Its been a known issue with 168 smk's to destabilize out to 600 and beyond.
    I would go to the heavier 175 smk or go with another brand of bullet.
    I was in love with Sierra for many years, back when they had a great product, for a great price.
    With the price they are now, I went to Berger and havent looked back.
    The new hornady eld bullets are intriguing and a good price point. High bc's as well, so will stabilize well at distances, so could be a good choice.

On a side note, when I was shooting .308, my load was 44.3gr of Varget with either a 168 or a 175-178.
    I noticed no difference in speeds, between a 168gr bullet or a 175-178gr bullet, so the heavier bullet just made sense to me.

www.seattleguns.net

Careful man, there's a beverage here!

I have no experience with the Forster dies, so cant offer any input there.

www.seattleguns.net

Careful man, there's a beverage here!

Junior Shooter
    Thanks 1911, very helpful and confirms what I'm hearing across the board. Berger is high on my list and am doing some research on the ELD's as well. I do have some Nosler 175gr RDF's and plan on trying them later this week. Nosler did a very nice job reducing the meplat on these missels and they look very good overall. Last week I did a load dev test and found two nodes that I'm going to load and see what happens. I sure would like to find one bullet that will serve the purpose at 200 - 600 yards. One would think doable, but trying to get 1/2 MOA over that range might be too much to ask from one bullet. Thanks again!