Thread: 357sig

Junior Shooter

357sig

What is your favorite bullet to load this round. Seems most plated (berrys, xtreme) can't get enough neck tension. I tried XTP 147grain boat tail and seems to work. Dont even need to expand the neck to seat, and requires very little crimp.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

The round was designed for ONE type of bullet: 125gn JHP. Beyond that, you have whatever a given gun likes and yours might hate.
    Neck tension is from sizing and using the correct expander. If you are shooting 0.356" plated bullets, the case ID should be 0.353-0.354" after expanding.
    I wonder if your neck tension issue is really due to the very short neck and not a bullet problem?
    Isn't the expander in the sizing die, like all other bottleneck cartridges? There is a big difference between expanding (opening up the case ID to be just a mil or two smaller than bullet OD) and case mouth flare (used to help start bullet seating).
    Yes, a jacketed bullet can be seated with out case mouth flare on any all bottleneck cases I have loaded, and none have needed to be crimped. Of course, a boat-tail pretty much means there is no need for any case mouth flare, no matter the cartridge.

Last edited by noylj; 06-14-2017 at 03:15 AM.

Junior Shooter
    I use Lee dies.there is no expander in the sizing die for that round.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk