Thread: Tumbling brass

Junior Shooter

Tumbling brass

How long do you tumble brass. Any tips or tricks . Im using a frankford arsenal master kit.

I have a Frankford Arsenal tumbler also. I usually prefer my brass to come out looking nice and bright, so with corn cob, I usually tumble 6-8 hours. I am currently running some Hornady corn media, with Dillon polish and the last batch looked like new after just 4 hours.

Marksman
    I'm not too picky. I want it clean, but don't really care if it looks like new for my plinking. :) I typically tumble it around 4 hrs with walnut media and maybe a little flitz polish.

Get on Youtube and check out the Thumlers Tumbler with stainless media for cleaning brass. A friend of mine has one and the results are amazing. The videos and pictures won't do it justice. Just a squirt of soap and some Lemi Shine(conditioner) and fill with water. Two or three hours and brass looks better than new. Primer pockets and flash holes perfectly clean. I havent used corn or shells since, he lets me borrow the setup. The grossest, nastiest, grungiest brass comes our perfect. I know what your thinking. I was very skeptical too. If I can figure out how to post some pictures I can do some before and afters if there is any intrest.

I switched to stainless wet tumbling and havent looked back! They come out like new, inside and out, including primer pockets.

www.seattleguns.net

Careful man, there's a beverage here!

Junior Shooter
    I use a sonic cleaner and the corn cobs for 2-3 hours. Cases look great. I have heard great things about the wet tumblers.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by crzy_mike View Post
    I use a sonic cleaner and the corn cobs for 2-3 hours. Cases look great. I have heard great things about the wet tumblers.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk
    After using the wet tumbler for awhile now, I like to run it without the pins, it comes out super shiny and looks nice. The only downfall, is the inside of the brass and primer pockets are not shiny, but the case mouths look nice. The pins are hard on case mouths and you will need to debur and chamfer each time.

www.seattleguns.net

Careful man, there's a beverage here!

Is this the rotary "platinum" tumbler or the Quick-n-EZ vibratory tumbler?
    For the vibratory tumblers, turn on and add enough media that the media starts to roll around the drum in a helical motion and then add the cases, maintaining the helical rolling motion. Use the top to keep dust in the tumbler. Dust is minimized by using CORN rather than nut hulls media.
    I use 20/40 corn and consider 30 minutes more than enough to clean the cases. They aren't shiny, but they are more than clean enough. Any more is just a waste, as cleaning is only to remove any dirt/debris that could damage the sizing die. The 20/40 size prevents the media from packing in the primer pocket or in the flash hole. Any little bits that do end up in the flash hole will be remove by the decapping pin.
    For rotary tumblers, any mix of media and cases will work.
    For stainless steel "perfect" cleaning with a rotary tumbler, I need 6-8 hours to have them come out completely clean. I only need 20 minutes in my ultrasonic cleaner to be perfectly clean but not as shiny. The use of citric acid seems to be what gives the slight shine besides making the process with hard water more efficient. In both situations, I use hot water.
    I have not seen ANY case mouth issues after SS tumbling.
    The idea of wet cleaning and then tumbling in media really seems like a waste, but it isn't hurting anything.