Thread: Calibrating Redding 2400 trimmer help...

Junior Shooter

Calibrating Redding 2400 trimmer help...

Hi all.

I just bought the redding 2400 trimmer and having problems calibrating. I'm trimming .243 cases and when I set the micrometer to 2.035, it trims well below to 2.028 and lower.

Can anyone give me tips on how to calibrate the trimmer?

Many thanks,
    Stav

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marksman
    Hoping on if my colleagues with a Redding will speak up. I have Lyman which resembles this one, and a Sinclair. For me, it came down to consistency of the operator. Having the right mounting technique. Identical cartridges(same headstamp) and the right fit on the neck.

You are very close at .007".

Are you loading for competition or hunting/fun?

Junior Shooter
    Quote Originally Posted by mjcmichigan View Post
    Hoping on if my colleagues with a Redding will speak up. I have Lyman which resembles this one, and a Sinclair. For me, it came down to consistency of the operator. Having the right mounting technique. Identical cartridges(same headstamp) and the right fit on the neck.

You are very close at .007".

Are you loading for competition or hunting/fun?

Thanks for that. I am close but I like consistent and accurate. Only hunting/fun.
    Cheers

Marksman
    I am the same. As you work your Redding, sort all your cases by head stamp first. Second, apply the same pressure when trimming. I'm guessing your 0.007 can be partly explained by headstamp, consistency in mounting and, finally, not torqueing the trimmer. This little variation is what drove me to the Sinclair. The collet is a sleeve, so it's resting on the rails and on the base. The design takes a lot of subtle stuff off the table

Marksman
    Well. It's not letting me post the YouTube link.

Go to YouTube and search on Sinclair micrometer case trimmer. He explains it well.

The Redding 2400 overview is quite excellent too. I like Redding stuff.
    Given what you are seeing. I'd keep headstamp sorted and work on getting consistent mounting. The distance between the collet mount and cutters looks to be well engineered.

Junior Shooter
    Got it, I suspect it's the variables that may play impact. The mounting and torqueing the trimmer. I just purchased it and wish I knew about the Sinclair; very impressive. Thanks for the clarification