Thread: Hello everyone

Junior Shooter

Hello everyone

Hello guys and gals. I'm new to the forum, and this is my first post. I want to tell you how much fun I am having reloading and shooting, and tell the story of how I got into this hobby. I have been reloading for a little less than a year now, and it is all thanks to my father in-law. He likes guns and knows how much I enjoy them, and we sometimes shoot together. So last year we were at Scheels buying ammo and mags, and I started looking at the reloading section. Having never hand loaded before, or even researched it, I was completely overwhelmed and had no idea what I was looking at. I just knew that it was all expensive and more than I wanted to spend to find out if this was for me. When the salesman came over I let him know that I was just browsing, but started asking questions. He asked how much I shot, and how much I spend on ammo, and I told him it was a lot. He told me that I would probably benefit from reloading. At that point my father in law stepped in and asked the salesman what would it take to get going? The salesman starting pointing things out, explained the difference between single stage, turret, and progressive. My father in law asked what he used, and what he would recommend? Everything the salesman pointed at, my father in law put in the cart. I figured that my wife's dad was going to take up a new hobby, and I might get to use his equipment, but then he told me that he has been looking for something nice to get me for a while but he had no idea what to get me. My father in-law pretty much bought my entire reloading setup, a Dillon RL550B, caliber conversions for .223 and .40, Dillon primer flip tray, lee balance scale, Scheels powder dispensing digital scale (powder charger 1500), Frankford Arsenal case trim and prep center, case lube, calipers, bullets, brass, 4lbs of powder, 4 cases of primers, a reloading book, and a bunch more little things. Close to 3k worth of stuff,*
    and it felt like supermarket sweep.... Like we were running down each isle with his arm extended and raking in one of everything. Everything to get me started.*ko
    So far I have added a rotary case tumbler, media seperator, a Frankford de-priming gun, 3 quick change kits with powder measures, and additional dies and caliber conversions for 9mm and .45 and of course more bullets, primers, and powder. Oh, and a bullet puller for the mistakes. I have each caliber set up where I just change the tool head and leave the dies adjusted, and install the shell plate and Brass pins. I really like that feature of the Dillon.*
    I am very thankful to my father in law. I am not normally the kind of person who is comfortable taking gifts, and especially a big gift like that, but I am very grateful and happy I took him up on his offer. I have loaded several thousand rounds now, have made some mistakes, learned a lot, and have a whole lot to learn. I haven't had any squibs or FTF, but I have forgot to prime a few cases and put powder in them making a huge mess. So far I am glad that I started with a progressive press, and I can kind of use it as a single stage when I want.*
    Anyways, I just found this forum and like having a whole board dedicated to reloading. Looking forward to taking to you all.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Welcome to the boards!

I think everyone who has Dillon, has cleaned up some powder, off the shell plate a time or two.

www.seattleguns.net

Careful man, there's a beverage here!

Junior Shooter
    My little cordless Dyson dust buster does the job nicely.

I always keep a can of compressed air on my bench as well, a flake of powder appears now and then on the shell plate as well well as spent primer carbon, a quick squirt of air cleans it up nicely.

www.seattleguns.net

Careful man, there's a beverage here!

Junior Shooter
    Good idea

Marksman
    I put a cafeteria tray under the press to catch stuff, powder, shot, depends what I loading. Congratulations on marrying well!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk