Thread: 260 Improved 30

260 Improved 30

I finally got my 260 improved 30, and decided to start a thread, with load reports and other range data.
    Here is the rifle data...
    260 Improved 30 http://6mmar.com/260_Imp_30_.php
    Rem 700 receiver
    PTG bolt with M16 extractor
    Benchmark Sendero Barrel 24" , 5R rifling, 1:8 twist and benchmark tactical brake.
    Timney trigger, Bell and Carlson stock (glass bed by benchmark), AIC bottom metal, carbon fiber Badger style bolt knob.
    3 shot group with 260 rem ammo (handloads) was less than .25 moa, cant wait to see what happens with actual 260 improved loads.
    Here is the factory 260 rem loads I used to fireform the Nosler Brass and produced the group above.
    41.7gr of IMR-4831
    CCI primer
    Hornady Match 140gr BTHP
    OAL 2.800

www.seattleguns.net

Careful man, there's a beverage here!

Heres a couple of before and after pics on the brass.
    Now that I have fireformed brass, I will start working up load data, I plan on working with R-17 and H-4350.
    Will post as I go.

www.seattleguns.net

I finally got to load and shoot some actual 260 imp 30 rounds in my rifle, much better than shooting to form brass!
    I used 2 different powders, both performed well and I will post the load data when I get a chance.
    Had good accuracy and some nice speeds!

www.seattleguns.net

So here's the cartridge data.
    I used full length sized Nosler brass, CCI 200 primer, Berger 140gr VLD Hunter bullets, seated at lands (2.950")
    Temps were in the upper 20's, mild humidity and chronographed on a Chrony at approx 10ft from the bench.
    All were 5 shot groups

Here is the Alliant R-17 data
    43.0gr 2805 avg speed
    43.5gr 2805 avg speed
    44.0gr 2876 avg speed
    44.5gr 2884 avg speed
    45.0gr 2960 avg spped

R-17 summary... All groups were less than 1" moa, lighter loads were very tight, then opened up mid range and were starting to tighten up nicely at 45.0gr, so will work more off of that load. Far as pressures go, I havent had any noticeable signs of pressure yet, so will likely start increasing by 2/10ths of a grain and see if I can find a node at the upper end.

Here's the Hodgdons H4350 data
    44.0gr 2844 avg speed
    44.5gr 2860 avg speed (3/8" 5 shot group")
    45.0gr 2860 avg speed
    45.5gr 2913 avg speed
    46.0gr 2929 avg speed

H4350 summary... Again there was some nice grouping on the lower end, but groups were tightening back up at the upper end, the last group of 46.0gr was right there in the 3/8ths inch size. This is where I will start my next round of test, increasing 2/10ths of a gr, til I find the upper accuracy node. There was no signs of pressure at the upper end of this powder either.

Overall summary... Both powders produced decent overall groups, the R-17 producing the fastest speeds, but the H4350 producing slightly tighter groups. I will focus mainly on the H4350, as I am partial to Hodgdon powders and their consistency, but will also play some more with the R-17. I like having 2 options, when it comes to powders, especially with the flux of availability these days. I will post more as I do more testing.

www.seattleguns.net

Got my next batch of test ammo, loaded and going to go out tomorrow, to test it out and chronograph it.
    I will update as soon as I have a chance.

www.seattleguns.net

Weather didnt cooperate, so didnt get to do what I intended to do, so will update after the next trip.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911 View Post
    Got my next batch of test ammo, loaded and going to go out tomorrow, to test it out and chronograph it.
    I will update as soon as I have a chance.

www.seattleguns.net