Thread: .357 maximum

Junior Shooter

.357 maximum

Has anyone loaded for the .357 max? I bought a 20" barrel for my contender. I am getting ready to test some loads. I have 180 Hornady xtp. And 180 Speer hot-cor. Powders I am starting with are h110 and aa-5744.

I have loaded a lot of 357mag, but havent loaded any maximum, but the 180's should just thump!!

With a 20" bbl, I bet speeds will be impressive as well.

www.seattleguns.net

Careful man, there's a beverage here!

Junior Shooter
    I am hoping it will be super nice gun to carry hunting.

I checked all my books and none of them had any carbine bbl length loads for it. My Lee book showed a max load of 21.0gr for H110, producing 1700fps with a 180, so I would suspect a 20"bbl would push it 2000+.

Your AA5744 may even be faster, longer bbl and a slower powder, may out perform the H110.

If you chrono any of them, post the details, I am curious now.

I have a sweet lil 1894 357 mag lever carbine, I love shooting it, but have never ran it through the chrono to check the speeds.

www.seattleguns.net

Careful man, there's a beverage here!

Junior Shooter
    I do chrono my loads. Bellm's web site has a lot of info on the max and I think it's dans customs site has some too. From what I have read I should be able to get 2000+. I will post soon

Junior Shooter
    Have yet to load for my 22" barreled small Martini single shot. Back when ammo was "cheap" I bought some to get the cases and I haven't shot it all up yet.

I did get some advice from Accurate Powders; you might write to them and ask about loads.