Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone using SWFA optics?

Anyone using SWFA optics?

They have the best prices around on scopes and appear to have a great reputation on their own brand products. Has anyone tried their stuff? I have been looking at their 3-15 power scope, not a bad price, if it's a decent optic. Thinking of putting it on top of a M1A, if I decide to pull the trigger on one, which I am very close to doing.
    http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-3-15x42-Tact...pe-P62238.aspx

I'm in the same boat. Looking at the same scope or one of the others for my Varmint rifle set up. Mil/mil adjustment and some sort of mil dot reticle as well. I have been sold on them just due to the word of mouth around the forums, nothing but praise for these guys.

Swfa has built a very solid reputation in the precision shooting community for out of the box quality and customer service. If you're not stepping up the Nightforce/USoptics level, swfa is about the best option out there.

I looked closely at that or a very similar one when I was deliberating for glass on my Rem308 but went with Weaver. I have had nothing but bad comments since, from everyone who's MADE a comment about Weaver scopes. I whole-heartedly recommend you go with the Swiffa to avoid that awful feeling you get when everybody you know thinks you screwed up.

But I was so satisfied with mine I put a Weaver Tactical (hate that word) 5-20x42 MILDOT on my Rem223 prairie dog rifle.
    One feature the Weavers have that I didn't WANT was illuminated reticles. And wouldn't you know... it is a GREAT feature when I'm trying to extend shooting time in the field. I am surprised to find I use it EVERY evening. But have never used it on the .308. Don't much shoot that toward dark.

OpticsPlanet provided mine. I have bought other stuff from SWFA and they've been great.

MILDOTs are the cream of current scope tech, for my money. I played the video game offered on the other site so long I finally went online and bought the whole game. Also bought the MILDOT Master card. And USE it. I have shot with a few guys on the other site who use their cell phones and specific apps to dial in scope settings based on their load data and I have thought I'd like to be able to do that. But simplicity demands (for me) that I go back to the original plan... determine a load and make a small laminated chart that represents its trajectory and fix it somewhere I can see it from behind the rifle!
    In the prairie dog field, I range them with a meter, consult the chart, select a MILDOT on my reticle and fire. Scope adjustments are for doping the wind and clarity. I don't adjust for range. Ranges from 85 to 420 yards on targets of 2-1/2"X10" size.

Last edited by handcaster; 12-21-2013 at 02:38 PM.

I ended up going with the SWFA 3-15 X42 scope for the M1A. I will give a review once I get it mounted and get to go and try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by handcaster View Post
    I looked closely at that or a very similar one when I was deliberating for glass on my Rem308 but went with Weaver. I have had nothing but bad comments since, from everyone who's MADE a comment about Weaver scopes. I whole-heartedly recommend you go with the Swiffa to avoid that awful feeling you get when everybody you know thinks you screwed up.

In the prairie dog field, I range them with a meter, consult the chart, select a MILDOT on my reticle and fire. Scope adjustments are for doping the wind and clarity. I don't adjust for range. Ranges from 85 to 420 yards on targets of 2-1/2"X10" size.
    I've received the same ribbing for my 3-15x50 weaver tactical (uhhh) and it's completely unfounded. Very nice glass/features at the price point.

And amen brother! Mildots are like a horus minus the spreadsheet in your lens. Hold off of max 2 mils elevation @ 400yards and easy conversions for the wind factor. Hold off and shoot. No click click click. Scope adjustments are for benchrest shooters!

Got the new scope today and have only looked through it and fondled it, but I will say the scope is crystal clear in all powers and feels like a good quality optic. It came with an allen wrench to loosen the set screws on the turrets, but didnt come with any directions, which would have been nice to have. I am sure I can figure it out, but would be pissed if I stripped something, because I had no directions. I may check with SWFA and see if there is any downloadable documentation.

When I get out and do a range test, I will give a final opinion on the scope and what my thoughts are.

One of many tricks I picked up from Samurai is to attach small ballistic nylon pouches to the sling and keep all the scope and stock adjustment wrenches in them.

Got out today and sighted in the new scope. Was a great day for a test run, we had below freezing temps, low light, fog, bright sunlight and shaded conditions and the scope worked well in all of them. I found it was easy to operate while shooting and the eye relief was very forgiving regardless of shooting positions. I dont know if you can possibly find a finer comparable scope for the price. I have often seen it compared to the Weaver Tactical line and the Vortex Viper PST, but both of those run about $200.00 more, so these are an excellent buy for the price.
    I am pleased with my purchase.

I just got rid of a gun that had a weaver ( tactical..:) ) 3x10x40 on it and at $300 from midway it was a very good scope and liked it enough that i will/or would buy another in the future. had nice postive , clicks o nthe exposed turrets and were tight feeling, good glass thru the range and had the mildot reticle with mil/mil adjustments.

I cant say anything good or bad about the swfa as i havent used one, but played with one and although it felt allright and glass was allright, for me atleast the weaver had a better turret fel and setup and both were about the same for glass quality..this was the fixed 3x10 swfa which is 300 also..