Thread: 6.5X47 Lapua Test Results with 130gr Berger VLD's

6.5X47 Lapua Test Results with 130gr Berger VLD's

I have been testing so far with 140gr bullets, which I have had some decent results, but I think the 140 is just a tad too heavy for this round.
    I went out this weekend and tested a couple of loads using the 130 berger's and pretty pleased so far, groups were decent and speeds were good.

I loaded up once fired brass sized with a neck sizer and a .289 bushing, CCI 450 primer, with bullets seated just touching the lands.
    Rifle is a Rem 700 with a 26" bbl. Neither load showed any signs of noticeable pressures.

1st load was with 38.0gr of Varget and the group measured in the mid 3's and the speeds were as follows.

2nd load was 38.0gr of Reloder 15 and the group measured in the low 5's and the speeds were as follows.

I think some playing around with the Varget load may produce groups in the 2's and it's possible with the R-15 as well, but will play with it later. For now gonna stick with the Varget. I do have a handful more loaded with the R-15 to try out. I was using a BR rest designed for a wide flat front forearmed stock, so with my rifle, I was pretty wobbly with the rifles canter.

Anyways, just wanted to share the data with you and I will update as I go.
    Remember this is data for my rifle, so if using it for your rifle, start low and work your load up!

www.seattleguns.net

Careful man, there's a beverage here!

After further testing and benchmark saying the barrel would gain some speed after 100 shots, I chronographed the same loads again, and they were right.
    The 38.0gr Varget load is now averaging 2920 fps and still shooting sub moa consistently. This was from my trip two weeks ago, I had thought I had already updated this thread.

I am also using the Berger match hunting bullets, they seem to consistently shoot a tad tighter than the match target Berger's.

www.seattleguns.net

I went out yesterday with the same loads and some neck turned brass, but unfortunately, I never got a chance to get into the neck turned loads. I did though, shoot up the last of my unturned loads, which I have been doing all my testing on so far.

I shot 3 five shot groups at 506 yards on paper, my largest group measured .522 moa and the smallest was .427 moa, I will take that all day. Had I taken out the furthest shot from each group, the groups would have all been in the 2's and 3's.

I cant wait to get out and try the neck turned brass.
    I also want to try some bench rest primers and see if they are worth the extra $$$

www.seattleguns.net