Thread: Hornady Amax and BTHP Match Bullets...Thoughts?

Hornady Amax and BTHP Match Bullets...Thoughts?

I have shot both of these now and have to say I like they way they shoot. I like the Berger's and the Lapua Scenar's, but they tend to run in the $40-$47 range and not always in stock. The SMK's I think have gotten too pricey for what they are, might as well just shoot the Bergers or Lapua's.
    The nice thing about the Hornady's, is you can typically find them from $25-$30 a box.
    If your patient and wait for the Cabelas coupons in the mail, you can sometimes get them down to $15-$20 a box.
    If I were shooting F-class or some other BR class, I certainly wouldn't be asking this question, but for general long range shooting why not.

www.seattleguns.net

Careful man, there's a beverage here!

Marksman
    I'd like to know the answer to that question! I'v been looking for a cost effective, make-a-bunch-to-sock-'em-away type of round that still has some solid characteristics. Like you said, not a match killer, but an above-average performer that is readily available and keeps it light on the wallet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Beauregard View Post
    I'd like to know the answer to that question! I'v been looking for a cost effective, make-a-bunch-to-sock-'em-away type of round that still has some solid characteristics. Like you said, not a match killer, but an above-average performer that is readily available and keeps it light on the wallet.
    I havent got to play a ton with these bullets, a lil 308 and a lil 6.5x47, but they shot well.
    First weekend shooting the 6.5, I had a .269" 5 shot group at 100yds, with my experimental load development loads. I have a few more of them loaded up now with fireformed brass vs full length sized, cant wait to try them out.

www.seattleguns.net

Marksman
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911 View Post
    I had a .269" 5 shot group at 100yds, with my experimental load development loads. I have a few more of them loaded up now with fireformed brass vs full length sized, cant wait to try them out.
    Nice group! Can't wait to hear what the fireformed brass will yield.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Beauregard View Post
    Nice group! Can't wait to hear what the fireformed brass will yield.
    Hope to find out this weekend!
    BTW those were the 140gr HPBT Match bullets. I chose those over the Amax, the BC was a bit higher, so went for the higher BC.

www.seattleguns.net