Thread: Does a suppressor effect accuracy or speed on a bolt action highpower round?

Does a suppressor effect accuracy or speed on a bolt action highpower round?

I am considering suppressing my bolt action rifles and wondering what to expect?
    Does it effect accuracy?
    Change ballistics?
    Does absolutely nothing, but change but the sound?

www.seattleguns.net

Careful man, there's a beverage here!

Expert marksman
    Yes and yes.
    Any additional weight added to the muzzle will change poi.
    A suppressor can cause a well shooting rifle to shoot poorly if the can was made poorly or the threads don't fit well mount the suppressor to the rifle. You can will most likely see an increase in muzzle velocity I've heard of 50fps max gained but doubtful 20 is more likely

Thanks Steve
    The poi and the fps increase is good to know.
    I wonder if how the gasses move in the chambers, if this is what increases the velocity a bit?

www.seattleguns.net

I'm on the same page with ya. Got my Trust paper work all done but havent got things notorized yet. I would like to shoot a similar rifle like mine to get a feel for what it's going to do. A hell of alot of money to be disappointed in your purchase. Been told the recoil is reduced to almost nothing. Most common problems is really bad burns grabbing an extremely hot can after just a few rounds. I really want one but having alot of trouble justifying it.

You might say im into suppressors. Im not sure about the velocity increase. I have never seen it personally. It is very important to have somebody that knows how to properly thread a barrel so it is concentric to the bore. I have had Fred at C.a.R. firearms thread all of my barrels that weren't factory threaded. He likes to know the suppressor to be used so he can get the factory recommended thread and shoulder specs for that particular suppressor. There has been some reports of factory threading not being so great because it was for a muzzle device that isnt as important to be as precise as it would be for a suppressor (i have only heard of this problem. I have not seen it personally). POI shift is a normal issue that can range from no change to a lot of change. You never know how much will occure until you shoot both suppresed and unsupressed. While a suppressor does add weight to the barrel and can add to poi if it is a heavier model, it seems to be more created by the the design of the suppressor. If it truely was the weight all poi should be down, but that is not the case. Most offen it is slightly down, but more right or left. Some say this is because of harmonics being changed with the addition of the suppressor. I personally dont know the exact reason for the shift, i do know that once you know the shift for a particular firearm, it is the same every time when you use the same suppressor on the same firearm. Some pistol suppressors like the Octane 9hd can be rotated on the neilson device to change the shift. This can be helpful when trying to minamize it on pistols that dont have adjustable sights. The issue of how well a suppressor quiets the firearm makes the most difference when shooting subsonic rounds. If the round is supersonic you will always have the sonic crack. I personally am not a big fan of suppressing high velocity rounds, but thats just me. Lots of people have suppressors for all kinds of high veloocity firearms. I just prefer to not wear hearing protection at all. I have the veiw of why use a suppressor if you still need hearing protection.

Scorpion...Great post and some good points and info. A lot boils down to what you need it for.

My main purpose is for load development. It's legal to shoot at my Dad's place, which is 15 mins away, but granola head neighbor down the road calls the police everytime and just not worth the hassle. Would be nice to not have to drive an hour +, just to test a few rounds out, to see what their doing.

Not sure it's worth spending the amount of money it takes to suppress a rifle, just for doing load test, so probably wont ever do it.

www.seattleguns.net

I understand completely. I wish i had a way to quickly test my loads. Almost every firearm i have is suppressible and i would really like to test rounds without doing major ladders to make it worth driving an hour and a half to see if im going the right direction with oal total grns of powder, ect.... I typically load 50 to 100 test rounds of different powder brands and grns, bullet weights and oal to test. My two goals when reloading are sound and accuracy, so i normally need to test when nobody else is shooting around me. I am jealous of people that can step outside their shop and pop off a few rounds.

Junior Shooter
    I can shoot my 6.5CM suppressed without hearing pro ***IF*** I am out in open space (nt under a roof covering.)

Normally I would never ever recommend it.

Junior Shooter
    I'll have to check my data book on FPS and POI shoft shooting the 6.5CM suppressed. Yes, both changed. :)