Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reloading Setup - Where to start?

Marksman
    Oh, I forgot. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT... get a damn primer deflector from Larry!!!! If you don't, you will regret it the first time you step on a spent primer while walking on that garage floor without shoes on! This is a MUST HAVE item.

The Lee presses have a slot in the ram just below where the shell holder slides in that will allow the spent primer to sometimes escape and fall on the floor. Larry was brilliant enough to come up with a great design that prevents this. The part forces all the spent primers to go down the tube and end up in your spent primer container instead of on the damn floor where they can do some serious foot damage! I have stepped on a primer or two either barefoot or in my socks, and I can tell you that it hurts like a SOB when it sticks into the ball or heel of your foot!

Aw, I feel like a noob again!

Looks like its time to start saving my pennies for a reloading setup. Thanks for all the help guys!

p. I saw that primer deflector Larry invented. Genius!

I dumped a 100 primers on the floor yesterday....Arrgghh

I had the last one in my pick up tube get sideways, turned it upside down and the damn end plug came off the tube and they all came out.

Them things leave that tube in a hurry too! No time to react at all.

Junior Shooter
    My HORNADY press drops the old primers down a tube into a coffee can. No spent primers on floor. UNLESS you kick can over!!

I have a small trash bucket under my press, it catches most of the kicked out primers, but one will get by now and then.

Kinda funny how my trash bucket under my press, fills much faster than trash can in my bathroom, which is about the same size...lol

www.seattleguns.net

Careful man, there's a beverage here!

Junior Shooter
    Anybody sell the spent primers to metal scrap dealers? Are they worth anything as scrap brass?

Quote Originally Posted by ROBS1911 View Post
    Anybody sell the spent primers to metal scrap dealers? Are they worth anything as scrap brass?
    There is a guy on seattleguns.net, named Sagewa, he operates a reloading supply business. He has a place around seattle that takes spent primers.
    I usually save all of mine and drop them off with him when I go down and visit now and then. I dont have enough to add up, but he processes brass, so he has quite a bit of them to take down. Not sure what they pay for them.

www.seattleguns.net

Careful man, there's a beverage here!

Junior Shooter
    Just a thought. I work at a New car dealer and we have a scrap guh who comes around to pick up scrap brake rotors and other stuff. Next time he comes around, I'm going to ask him if its worth it. I have just started processing summer brass. Have about 1/2 a 2 lb coffee can now. More to come. LOL