Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why hunt varmints?

Why hunt varmints?

Trigger time!
    Pest control.

Extended time in the field.
    Get into the brush when there are no snakes or mosquitos. (winter varmiting)
    Get out when most others are staying in.
    Get the kids out during winter break.
    Test different handloads.

Develop contacts with ranchers.
    Hunt cheap (Montana, for instance, doesn't require non-residents get a license to shoot coyotes, prairie dogs, etc.)
    Break the range monotany.

lets go!

And this is why I got this guy. Hopefully soon it will be a hell of a Varmint slayer.

Can you make sausage out them??

Quote Originally Posted by 1911 View Post
    Can you make sausage out them??
    Hdy Z-Max's already made sausage of the prairie dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Jagerbomber View Post
    And this is why I got this guy. Hopefully soon it will be a hell of a Varmint slayer.
    What caliber is that, Kyle? You going for flat shootin' out to 600 yards and maximum destruction?
    That's what I did with the .257AI. Then picked up a .22-250, but before I re-chambered THAT for AI
    I got to thinking about the past 8 coyotes I'd shot and realized 1 at 100 yards, 1 at 250 yards and 6 at 9-15 yards.
    So I bought a .223, put a scope on it I could crank DOWN to 2x (2x10 Weaver) and bought 40gr frangible bullets
    to load for it. Max velocity, minimum kick, .224" entry hole and no exit wound.

Further recollection made me realize a DBM would be ideal for 10 stands a day from a truck where you load/unload
    in cold weather (gloves) and typically spill most of the rounds on the ground.
    I sold the .223 with top feed, dump plate load system and built a prairie dog rifle in that caliber.
    Then found an H&R single shot in .223, put a 2x7 Vari-x II on it and that's my coyote rifle/backup PD shooter.
    All in the same caliber. I haven't despatched a coyote with a Z-Max bullet yet - looking forward to it. Hope it stays
    in the dog (they're only about 6" thick).
    Yours looks like a varmint slayer already. If you're going to hide in the brush and call coyotes you might want to knock off
    the shine somehow. But PDs don't care how much you shine. :)

Its a .223. I like the Tikka as it has a 3 round detachable mag standard. Can get 5 rounders but can't seem to ever find either in stock anywhere, and are $75 ish if you do. Its about ready to as far as I'm concerned. Have a Harris Bi pod for it, but hoping to have Tom bed the action and do a trigger job for me. That's it really, other than maybe swapping glass for something with mil dots in a mil/mil format.

Cool, Kyle. Wrap some camo bandage material around it for hiding from coyotes in the brush. Helps prevent scratching by the brush, too.

Is that a despatched varmint partially visible, bottom right in your photo? ;>)

I would love the chance to do some varmint eradication! Hog hunting would be first. Sky Pigs would be second. I'm jealous I usually only get to shoot paper and canned food. For you that don't know what's a Sky Pig ...when you shoot a varmint(whistle pig, ground hog, sage rat etc..) and the fly really good in the air. SKY PIG!! Very nice on the Coyote! Here in Eastern Washington they are getting smarter and hard to come by.

Quote Originally Posted by J-Rod View Post
    I would love the chance to do some varmint eradication! Hog hunting would be first. Sky Pigs would be second. I'm jealous I usually only get to shoot paper and canned food. For you that don't know what's a Sky Pig ...when you shoot a varmint(whistle pig, ground hog, sage rat etc..) and the fly really good in the air. SKY PIG!! Very nice on the Coyote! Here in Eastern Washington they are getting smarter and hard to come by.
    Ha! I'm from Ellensburg originally, and grew up shooting out there. Smoked my fair share of whistle pigs with my uncles 22-250. Everyone on SGN gave me hell for that term, didn't know em by any other name. Glad to see I'm nkt the only one who knows them as whistle pigs.