Thread: long term storage

long term storage

of primers, and bullets.

lets say that with my small stockpile and the rate things are coming back I have at least 2 years worth of primers and about a years worth of bullets. I store the bullets under my bed in the original cardboard box they come in and primers in the guest bedroom closet.

is it worth the time to break out the food saver and vac pak them ? I do rotate my stock but I seem to be adding quicker then I can use it up.

thoughts?

Maybe just an ammo can with a dessicant pack inside?

Total guess, i'm curious on this one too.

I have used primers and powders that were 20+ years old, they were stored indoors during those years in a mild dark place and didnt have any issues.

But now that we have the luxury of vacuum sealers, I would probably seal my primers/powder for long term storage, couldnt hurt right? Bagging material isnt too expensive, so why not.

Powder and primers both decay quickly in the presence of moisture/oils. But both commodities come in containers that prevent contact with both contaminants.
    If storing long term, I'd be more concerned with fire hazard than deterioration. As 1911 points out, with no special care taken, P&P will last decades.
    We stuff ours in Ziplocks once the boxes are opened, now that storage is in a garage environment. I've had good luck with plastic B-ball pumps, reversing the hose so it sucks, and tipping it with their needle... stick it in the mouth of the bag and pump it flat as you zip it shut. Makes the bag reusable.
    Vacuum sealer would be more positive, but for 2 year storage it just isn't necessary. (IMHO)

One thing none of us has mentioned is heat. I wonder whether primer compound dries out over time if stored in 100 degree environment?

Marksman
    I store my primers in an ammo can with a good seal and my powder in a cabinet in the garage. I go through it fast enough though to probably not have to worry about it decaying... :)