Thread: Premium primers worth the cost?

Premium primers worth the cost?

Went to Cabelas today to get some primers for my 308 stuff I've been slowly working on. I thought I'd buy some match primers. Only thing that they have in premium large rifle primers are CCI Bench Rest primers at $65 a box.Wow thats quite a price difference! I decided to put off the purchase and ask some questions first. I've used almost exclusively Winchester stuff in all my pistol loads and have been happy. Should I quite complaining and buck up? I'm not interested in shooting competitions and have no delusions of marksmanship granduer. Just want to make the best ammo I can at this point in my reloading endevor. What is your guys first hand experience on premium primers? Thanks in advance Jason

I have read a lot about match primers and it seems that there isnt enough noticeable difference with normal bench shooting to justify the extra cost. Now if your shooting benchrest where you set your rifle up, wait for the wind flag to drop and then you touch your 2oz trigger, they make a difference when you take the shooter out of the situation and its all the handloads.

I shoot Federal and CCI large rifle and they work great. The extra cost of the BR primers isnt worth it for me.
    My Dad shoots a lot of winchester primers and really likes them too.

www.seattleguns.net

Careful man, there's a beverage here!

Junior Shooter
    I'm with 1911 on this one... if you're really trying to minimize all variables and you feel comfortable with the concept of match primers, then go for it. I've had non-match federal primers outshoot the match variety. In my experience, there is simply going to be more lot-to-lot variations between either to make much of a difference. Your mileage may vary and all guns are different though. Why not try a tray of 100 in each and see how they do with your recipes?

Scored a 1000 Federal Match primers on sale for a good price. CCI's were outrageously priced. Got to get off my rear and get this stuff going!

Quote Originally Posted by J-Rod View Post
    Scored a 1000 Federal Match primers on sale for a good price. CCI's were outrageously priced. Got to get off my rear and get this stuff going!
    Had a chance to test these baby's out yet?

www.seattleguns.net

Careful man, there's a beverage here!