Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hi-Cap .308 rifles

Hi-Cap .308 rifles

I have been thinking about Hi cap .308 rifles lately and what's available. I am not a fan of the AR platform, nothing wrong with them, just not my thing.
    I have been looking at other alternatives, Cetme, Ptr91, Fal and Sigs.
    Today I stumbled across and article on the M1A by Massad Ayoob and I was totally impressed with what I read and what a nice M1A can do.
    I do have a Garand, so I am partial to that style, but to have one with 20rd mag capacity and excellent accuracy is quite inviting and not sure why I didnt consider it before.
    The above mentioned are not as accurate, harder to attach optics, but they are cheaper.
    Far as weight goes, they are all heavy, so no single one seems to have any weight advantages.
    The M1A is more money, but more accurate, reliable, can easily switch from optics to irons and excellent in short or long ranges.

I guess the only thing to do now is start saving money!

And get out and start putting some rounds through the Garand.

Ptr91 comes after the Thompson on my list. The one Mikey has with the wood furniture is just sick.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard G View Post
    Ptr91 comes after the Thompson on my list. The one Mikey has with the wood furniture is just sick.
    Yeah, when Mikey posted pics of that, it got me internet window shopping, it does look sweet with the wood furniture.

Lately I have just gotten really tired of anything synthetic, it's every where you look now, I am back into the wood furniture guns.

SS/Synthetic is like Raider's colors. Gorgeous combination, black and silver.
    Blued and wood takes me back, though.
    And gas-op rifles are a HOOT to load for. You have to DIG for data and info
    to achieve the same pressure curve with different powders and bullet weights.
    Or install an adjustable gas port so you can simply use the best powders, then
    dial in the pressure that bumps your op rod but doesn't BEND it.
    Never having had an adjustable gas port, I wonder how you know what kind of pressure
    curve your load develops? Or do you have to know? Do the adj. gas ports have more
    than 2 settings - one for faster powders, one for slower?

Larry,

Check out this gas plug, looks like it might be the mutts nuts, no adjusting and no fuss. I have an adjustable one from Schusters, but my factory one seems fine with standard ball, so no need to change it right now.

http://www.garandgear.com/m1garand/d...-plug?sef=hcfp

Marksman
    If you go M1A and want high capacity let me know I have a couple 30 round mags from when I had mine

Quote Originally Posted by 1911 View Post
    Larry,

Check out this gas plug, looks like it might be the mutts nuts, no adjusting and no fuss. I have an adjustable one from Schusters, but my factory one seems fine with standard ball, so no need to change it right now.

http://www.garandgear.com/m1garand/d...-plug?sef=hcfp
    Looks like just what I want. Thanks!

You guys are too kind. I'll give the M1a style points for good old American hardware, but I'd be hesitant to say its much more accurate. My ptr is an early 18" heavy barrel shooting <3moa on herters steel case ammo with iron sights. I'd challenge anyone with an 18" M1a to come out and shoot some groups.

Haven't even sat down and tried to work up an accurate load for it. You'll see, once the first 2 or 3 come blasting out of that 20rd mag its really hard not to start slapping the trigger like a drunken whore.

To be fair, I really want an M1a

And cuz I'm a braggart

Last edited by Sinus211; 12-17-2013 at 07:02 PM.

The hooded front site, just makes the gun look totally bad ass, along with the wood furniture.

Yeah, looks suitable for anti-aircraft. Drones?

I just acquired a SS/syn Mini-14 from an SGN guy. Came with 2ea. 30rd mags with no brand on them.
    Haven't checked it out yet.