Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you do in your reloading room today?

Finally got some bullets to cast well enough to reload today.Only got 50 good ones This was my third attempt. Can't just read a book and go cast. Really takes learning the knack of it. Casting is a new level to the disease I call reloading

I have never casted my own, but would like to try it someday, if anything just so I know how it's done.

I didnt do anything reloading related today, but installed a Sadlak scope mount on the M1A today, what should have taken 20 minutes took 2 hours and a trip to harbor freight. I needed a 3/32" punch, just so happens, that was the broken one in my tool box. I part didnt fit the receiver properly, so I had to do some filing and sanding on the part to make it fit, but got it done.

Been busy in there the last couple days. I picked up a Lee Classic turret press for doing all my rifle reloading, so relocated the 550B over about a foot and made room and mounted the Lee press.

I set up some dies last night, uniformed some primer pockets, deburred flash holes and loaded a couple different loads to try tomorrow. I just did two sets of 5 to start with, since I have a ton of rounds loaded with Varget, these loads I am trying some IMR-4046. I have heard a lot of good chatter about this powder and since Varget is an endangered specie and on the verge of extinction, figured I would try some out.

First load is 42.0gr with a 165 Hornady SST
    Second is 42.5gr with a 165 Hornady SST

In the middle of cleaning my reloading bench. Looks like Cabelas threw up on it. Going to do one more run of 38 special then got to find a place to bolt down my spankin new Dillon Super Swage. Running out of room.

sorted all brass into plastic shoe box sized totes. every thing is labeled with caliber, processed or not . just need to weigh them so I have a guesstimate on quantity.

really looking forward to having a dedicated space soon to reload and work on guns

Junior Shooter
    If this thread was titled, "What should I be doing in the reloading room today?" I'd have something to add.

Gotta clean off my work bench.

Last week have prepped about 800 223 lc cases on a single stage lee, with a rcbs swager die, and trimmed, chamfered and deburred by hand on a drill..Damn it takes a long time this way and my hands hurt..lol

Also prepped about 4oo 45 cases..

Quote Originally Posted by J-Rod View Post
    In the middle of cleaning my reloading bench. Looks like Cabelas threw up on it. Going to do one more run of 38 special then got to find a place to bolt down my spankin new Dillon Super Swage. Running out of room.
    J-Rod, check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C34sRku4ASY for some slick ideas re: Dillon swager.
    I set mine up like this and bolted it to a piece of plywood which I can quick-clamp to a bench corner, and remove to store on a shelf when not in use.

I moderated his 'catch up' a bit... I use a 5gal bucket. With it's bail handle folded under it, it doesn't roll off the bench. With the bottom half
    of the bucket's mouth covered by cardboard and with the bucket placed at the foot of the swager, the flicked off cases go over the cardboard
    and into the bucket mouth almost 100%. As it happens, all my swager equipment, including the plywood base, go into the bucket for storage.
    So I call it the swager kit. I identified all wrenches and tools required for adjustments, noted which tool applies where on the plywood and acquired
    dedicated tools for the kit. Thrift store stuff, mostly. Maybe $5 invested in it.

If anybody shows any interest, I'll snap and post a pic.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard G View Post
    sorted all brass into plastic shoe box sized totes. every thing is labeled with caliber, processed or not . just need to weigh them so I have a guesstimate on quantity.

really looking forward to having a dedicated space soon to reload and work on guns
    Good idea, plastic totes! I have several spares and find them cheap all the time. I'm going to adapt this storage method.
    My stuff is mostly in plastic peanut butter jars or coffee cans. They don't stack all that well.
    Labelling is a pain. There are so many stages brass might be in... cleaned, resized, primed/unprimed, re-cleaned, trimmed, etc.,
    so I use masking tape to label containers and DO so, often.

Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    Last week have prepped about 800 223 lc cases on a single stage lee, with a rcbs swager die, and trimmed, chamfered and deburred by hand on a drill..Damn it takes a long time this way and my hands hurt..lol

Also prepped about 4oo 45 cases..
    Time well spent on an enjoyable skill set, earning those callouses.