Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you do in your reloading room today?

What did you do in your reloading room today?

I loaded up a couple hundred 45acp rounds today. Berry's 230's on top of 4.5gr of Red Dot.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911 View Post
    I loaded up a couple hundred 45acp rounds today. Berry's 230's on top of 4.5gr of Red Dot.
    Does that load give much muzzle flash in a Defender?

Quote Originally Posted by handcaster View Post
    Does that load give much muzzle flash in a Defender?
    I wouldnt know for sure. I am helping a friend out and that is the powder he has. Sgt Rock posted that's his pet load, so decided to go with it.

I hope you find out, first person, and let us know. I discovered AA powders so long ago that I never tried the colored dots.
    Wes and I did some chrono work with AA2, AA5, Bullseye and Unique a long time ago and IIRC the data indicated muzzle flash was a decent
    "relative indicator of velocity differences." Meaning, for any barrel length tested (3.5", 4.25", 5"), we got reduced velocity relative
    to the other powders tested with max published loads which generated noticeable muzzle flash. Predictable, as it indicates powder being burned
    after it leaves the barrel.

To get back on topic... in my reloading room today I concentrated on brass prep.
    I had previously tried some commercial granulated citrus detergent in my tumbler with a handful of
    .38 cases. It came out looking like anodized aluminum. Pretty, actually, and clean, but untraditional.
    So I went back to the standard citric acid crystals (food grade), Simple Green and liquid laundry detergent.
    Brass came out gorgeous. The shiny gold still darkens when I use high heat in my dryer but when pressed for time...
    I'm curious why the anodized look from the commercial stuff. There must be a gritty base to it or something. I'll dissolve some
    in a glass jar and study on it awhile.

Also did two batches of .308 1x milsurp brass (~2.5 gallons of brass per batch) and let one go all through the Seahawks game,
    the other through the Oakland-Kansas City game. Beaudacious brass. :)

I will load a couple of my own up with it and try them out and let you know. I have to say, for not being a ball powder, it meters quite well through my 550 compared to Bullseye or 2400.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911 View Post
    I will load a couple of my own up with it and try them out and let you know. I have to say, for not being a ball powder, it meters quite well through my 550 compared to Bullseye or 2400.

Is it tiny flakes?

Incidentally... Yay!! I finally got my avatar under control !!

Last edited by handcaster; 12-16-2013 at 07:57 AM.

I would say they are slightly smaller than Bullseye, but its been a long time, since I last used any Alliant powders.

Marksman
    Tonight I will be loading up about 350 rounds of .44 mag. Going to make up some target rounds with some lead 240gr stuff i picked up a while back and save my plated bullets for now.

I sorted some brass and loaded another 200rds of 45acp today.