Thread: Federal Primers and their Enormous Box

Federal Primers and their Enormous Box

Anyone know why Federal packs their primers in such a large container compared to other manufacturer's?

My Dad proceeded to tell me out of the blue (he can be random at times), that they had a primer explosion at their plant and since then, they went to the larger containers.

I did a short google search, but didnt find anything, but I am curious now.

Marksman
    Dunno, but I wondered the same the first time I got some Federal primers. When I was learning from the guru, we had always used CCI, so I see my first box of Federal and i'm like uh.... I half expected there to be more primers in there than there was hehe.

I wondered the same thing. I also noticed that they do not go down the primer tubes in my Dillon square b as easily as CCI primers.

Quote Originally Posted by OhShoot! View Post
    I wondered the same thing. I also noticed that they do not go down the primer tubes in my Dillon square b as easily as CCI primers.
    I noticed the Wolf large pistol primers can be finicky sometimes when I load the tube in my Dillon 550, where the CCI work just fine filling the tube. I bought a case of Wolf during the first obummer scare, as that was all I could find, have to say, I havent had one issue with them. They have all gone bang and they are always packaged facing the same direction, no need to use a primer flipping/sorting tray.

Marksman
    That's good to hear I wondered about the wolf primers. I have never used them or known anyone who used them.

Quote Originally Posted by Upriver View Post
    That's good to hear I wondered about the wolf primers. I have never used them or known anyone who used them.
    I have had zero issues with the large pistol, but cant say the same for the small rifle, about one out of every 250 is a no bang.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911 View Post
    I have had zero issues with the large pistol, but cant say the same for the small rifle, about one out of every 250 is a no bang.
    And your small rifle goes bang every time when you use CCIs? ;>) (I know you aren't using SRPs in your .45acp cases - just funnin' you.)

Marksman
    I've had more problems seating fed large rifle than any other primer so far. I've still got about 700 left, but I don't plan on using them unless I absolutely have to.

I'm SO sheltered! Have used CCI, Remington and Federal primers since the early 80s and don't remember any problems with any of them.

Maybe it's just that I don't remember anymore.