Thread: FL sizing vs Neck sizing

FL sizing vs Neck sizing

I know I know, been discussed all over the web, but not here yet...lol

I was raised and taught to always shoot fire formed brass for best accuracy, but have heard other responses favoring FL sizing each time. I was also taught to always seat bullets touching the lands and have found that not to be true. Here is my observation on the issue so far.

All chambers, including bench rest barreled actions, are not uniform in size. Fire formed brass, is then not uniform and wont fit uniform to the chamber, unless inserted exactly the same as it was removed.

FL sized brass with the proper shoulder bump of .001-.002, produces uniform ammo and doesnt produce anymore work on the brass, then just neck sizing, so brass life isn't compromised. Uniform ammo in a non uniformed chamber, sounds better than non uniformed ammo in an non uniformed chamber. Of course none of this will work if you dont set your FL die precisely to only bump the shoulder back .001-002 to the measurements of your particular rifle's chamber.

Now that I have my handloads dialed in for my rifle, I think I am going to try some FL sizing to compare to my fire formed rounds.
    Here is a really good article I found on the discussion and they are many more out there.
    www.larrywillis.com/resizing.html
    Whats your guys thoughts and experience on the matter??

www.seattleguns.net

Careful man, there's a beverage here!

Marksman
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911 View Post
    I know I know, been discussed all over the web, but not here yet...lol

I was raised and taught to always shoot fire formed brass for best accuracy, but have heard other responses favoring FL sizing each time. I was also taught to always seat bullets touching the lands and have found that not to be true. Here is my observation on the issue so far.

All chambers, including bench rest barreled actions, are not uniform in size. Fire formed brass, is then not uniform and wont fit uniform to the chamber, unless inserted exactly the same as it was removed.

FL sized brass with the proper shoulder bump of .001-.002, produces uniform ammo and doesnt produce anymore work on the brass, then just neck sizing, so brass life isn't compromised. Uniform ammo in a non uniformed chamber, sounds better than non uniformed ammo in an non uniformed chamber. Of course none of this will work if you dont set your FL die precisely to only bump the shoulder back .001-002 to the measurements of your particular rifle's chamber.

Now that I have my handloads dialed in for my rifle, I think I am going to try some FL sizing to compare to my fire formed rounds.
    Here is a really good article I found on the discussion and they are many more out there.
    www.larrywillis.com/resizing.html
    Whats your guys thoughts and experience on the matter??
    As far as bullets touching the lands, from what I read, that's where you should start, and then work the bullets off the lands while developing a load. Go from Jam to Jump, as Jam has the highest pressures.

Expert marksman
    I full length size all my brass. I do this because of mostly field shooting dealing with debris. Its also been proven to be just as accurate as neck sizing. This is and will always be user discretion on this just like the caliber wars

Last edited by steveptr; 07-30-2014 at 08:02 PM.