Thread: Catastrophic failure today

Catastrophic failure today

As you can see in the pic, I had a major problem today and glad I still have my eyes and fingers. I was shooting some ammo I purchased from the CMP, it is once fired factory reloads, LC brass, 168gr bullet on Varget powder. I normally reload all my own, so I get to inspect and handle all the brass, but I never did a look over on this stuff as it looked beautiful when I got it.

When I fired it, I knew immediately something was wrong, some particles hit my face and smoke was coming out of the rear of my bolt. Thank god for a R700 action and it's strength. I went to open the bolt and it was stuck, with a small amount of effort it opened and the separated case fell out. After inspection, I wondered if it had damaged the chamber, so I then did something very stupid, I took another shot with a handload. Nothing happened, but as you can see in the second pic, there is significant damage to the brass. It didnt separate, but was damn close to it, so I got lucky again.

When I got back, I shined a light into the chamber and you can see a significant recess in the wall of the chamber, so the barrel is toast. Word of advice, if this ever happens to you, do NOT fire a second round. That was extremely dumb and I should know better than that.

My assumption is that the brass had a hairline crack in, wasnt detected when it was loaded and let go when I fired it. When buying loaded ammo, be sure to inspect it before firing, factory new or factory reloads.

www.seattleguns.net

Careful man, there's a beverage here!

Holy Crap!! That sucks. Glad you didn't get hurt man. Kind of gives me the creeps though.

I went to Benchmark today, they checked my rifle out and said its fine and I have nothing to worry about. The carbon released from the split, caused a build up of material in my chamber, that appeared to be burnt into the wall of the chamber. I picked up a 50cal bore brush and scrubbed the hell out of the chamber, it removed all the carbon, but there is a light ring still, which I think the temps from the split made a discoloration on the steel. I fired one round afterward and my brass came out looking normal.

Hats off to the guys at Benchmark for taking a few mins of their day to check it out for me.

Since I reload, I will avoid buying/trading anymore "factory reloads", not that there is a major issue with them, but had I handled this brass, it may not have happened. I had bought these before I was set up for reloading 308 and figured if from the CMP, had to be good stuff. Hell you cant even rely on factory ammo anymore.

www.seattleguns.net

Careful man, there's a beverage here!

read this on the other site, but glad all is good, you and the gun..

Junior Shooter
    Same thing happened to me with a .223 AR - it was a head space issue. It turned out to be a blessing cause I used the half of the case with the neck as a funnel adapter to load WSSM cartridges :P but this was also a gun I had shot 500 rounds of .22LR through a CMMG adapter (without cleaning) and then decided to run full bore .223s. Bad idea so it turns out. Replaced the bolt, did the frog lube thing to the gun, and we're back in action. Glad you weren't hurt here!