Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pulled bullets

Pulled bullets

Just in case anyone still wonders whether pulled bullets are worth the powder, here's
    a little story about them.

I was fooling around with .223 cartridges for 4 different rifles and wound up with 9 of
    them which had been seated WAY too deep, and Factory Crimped. I impact pulled them
    back out to 2.265"-2.275" and set them aside for use in my Mini-14 some time when I
    wanted to merely blast away at something. The scars created by the factory crimp scraping
    were ugly.
    Then awhile later I was at the range on a gentle day and shooting groups with my prairie dog
    rifle and found these 9 rounds in my range bag. I'd been having a great day, so I decided to
    test the generally accepted priniciple that pulled bullets are re-surfaced by the rifling anyway
    so the scars don't matter.

Aiming at a new zone on a bullet-riddled target, I fired them carefully.

All 9 rounds went into a half inch.

The scars truly don't matter.

Junior Shooter
    That's good to hear I just pulled some 165gr Barnes bullets and reloaded them tonight .
    I was wondering that.Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bigstrapper66 View Post
    That's good to hear I just pulled some 165gr Barnes bullets and reloaded them tonight .
    I was wondering that.Thanks
    Welcome to the site!

I have shot plenty of "pulled" pistol bullets and reused them, but havent with rifle bullets with the exception of some 308 air pull mil specs, but gonna do some impact pulling of 168's soon and going to reload them. They are factory reloads I no longer trust after last weekend, so going to pull them all and load with my own stuff that I know is good.

www.seattleguns.net

Careful man, there's a beverage here!

Junior Shooter
    What happened last weekend?

What happened last weekend?
    http://www.precisionhandloader.com/s...-failure-today

It appears I have ring burnt into the chamber, taking it to Benchmark barrels today, so should know more soon.

www.seattleguns.net

Junior Shooter
    Wow! Never had or seen that before. Glad your ok!
    Interesting to hear what Benchmark says.

Wow! Never had or seen that before. Glad your ok!
    Interesting to hear what Benchmark says.
    Here is the results from Benchmark.

I went to Benchmark today, they checked my rifle out and said its fine and I have nothing to worry about. The carbon released from the split, caused a build up of material in my chamber, that appeared to be burnt into the wall of the chamber. I picked up a 50cal bore brush and scrubbed the hell out of the chamber, it removed all the carbon, but there is a light ring still, which I think the temps from the split made a discoloration on the steel. I fired one round afterward and my brass came out looking normal.

Hats off to the guys at Benchmark for taking a few mins of their day to check it out for me.

Since I reload, I will avoid buying/trading anymore "factory reloads", not that there is a major issue with them, but had I handled this brass, it may not have happened. I had bought these before I was set up for reloading 308 and figured if from the CMP, had to be good stuff. Hell you cant even rely on factory ammo anymore.

www.seattleguns.net

Junior Shooter
    That's good to hear your rifle is ok and more importantly you are.

Marksman
    I bought a ton of pulled milspec 147gr 308 bullets last year, these are great for the garand! I haven't developed any accuracy loads, but using the master po load data, they seem pretty accurate!

Now we need someone to collet-pull a dozen or so bullets and reload those/fire/measure groups.
    I'm almost convinced the rifling wipes the old scars off the bullet... might not be good enough for
    the 1/4"moa guys but is good enough for me.
    If nobody else does it, I'll get around to it eventually.