Thread: 308 winchester 168gr bullets or 175gr bullets??

308 winchester 168gr bullets or 175gr bullets??

Lets set a couple parameters to simplify this a bit. First we are talking bolt action rifle. We all know 168's go subsonic after 800yds and dont compare withe the 175's out beyond that. So lets say what's your preference, with the standard available twist from 200yds to 800yds. Also lets rule out palma rifles. Lets keep it standard heavy barrel tactical rigs.
    What's your preference?? Why??

www.seattleguns.net

Careful man, there's a beverage here!

Expert marksman
    175 defeats the wind better because of mass. Now the Hornady 168 is good to 1000 plus but the 168 sierra is not it does weird things starting at 6-700 due to the bullet design not weight it just does not stay stable going transonic. 1-10 twist seams to be standard in the tactical world. If your looking for a awesome bullet to 800 have you thought about the 155 sierra palma or lapua secenar they are awesome and because you can get them going faster they defeat the wind too

175's b/c that's all my rifle will shoot worth a damn!

I use the 175gr Berger VLD's due to the higher BC. They have the weight and seem to cut the wind a little better than SMK's. Barrel twist on my rifle is standard 5r 1 in 11.2.

Marksman
    Quote Originally Posted by steveptr View Post
    175 defeats the wind better because of mass. Now the Hornady 168 is good to 1000 plus but the 168 sierra is not it does weird things starting at 6-700 due to the bullet design not weight it just does not stay stable going transonic. 1-10 twist seams to be standard in the tactical world. If your looking for a awesome bullet to 800 have you thought about the 155 sierra palma or lapua secenar they are awesome and because you can get them going faster they defeat the wind too
    I did not know that about the 168 smk, thanks Steve! I'm going to try the palma's!

Quote Originally Posted by Duke EB View Post
    I did not know that about the 168 smk, thanks Steve! I'm going to try the palma's!
    I may have to pick up a box of the 155's someday, just to try them out and see how they perform.

www.seattleguns.net

Careful man, there's a beverage here!