Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's your favorite 1911 45acp pet load?

Quote Originally Posted by jholen View Post
    Don't have any bullets yet, or even a .45 ACP die set yet, but have primers and powder (Unique and Bullseye) on hand. Just inventoried all my equipment and will hopefully start up here in a bit.

Been looking at some cast bullets but can't decide between cast or coated bullets yet.
    I have shot several thousand moly coat and cast bullets and I have to say my favorite's were the Missouri Bullet company cast 200gr round flat points. They shoot fantastic, no lead fouling and the price is right.

Junior Shooter
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911 View Post
    I have shot several thousand moly coat and cast bullets and I have to say my favorite's were the Missouri Bullet company cast 200gr round flat points. They shoot fantastic, no lead fouling and the price is right.
    Thanks for the feedback.

Would you have any starting points for either Unique or Bullseye?

Quote Originally Posted by 1911 View Post
    I have to ask as im not totally new to reloading but always interested in listening to new things.

Is there any benefit in lead/cast bullets over the plated bullets from say extreme or one of the many others, as for not much more ,Some times $5 bux a box what is better other then price?

LEE 230gr ball quench-cast bullets get 5.3gr #2 as I am trying to duplicate the original military spec of 800'/s, +30/-0. (That's military jargon for 800-830fps)
    Hey Handcaster.. I'm getting ready to do a similar workup. What is the C.O.L. for the Lee cast bullets? I don't own a Lee manual. Do they list loads specifically for their moulds?

200gn L-SWC (Zero swaged or Precision Bullets swaged and coated) over 4.6-5.0gn 231/HP38. Next step down would be Precision Delta 200gn swaged L-SWC over 5.0gn of 231/HP38.

Re: bullets
    .45 Auto cast bullets should have a BHN of 8-12. I find that HARD (18-22 BHN) bullets need to be even larger than std cast bullets.
    Best I have found are swaged lead bullets from Zero, Magnus, and Precision Delta or Precision Bullets swaged and coated bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by noylj View Post
    200gn L-SWC (Zero swaged or Precision Bullets swaged and coated) over 4.6-5.0gn 231/HP38. Next step down would be Precision Delta 200gn swaged L-SWC over 5.0gn of 231/HP38.
    I am a big fan of 5.0gr of 231 and any 200 gr cast or plated bullet!

www.seattleguns.net

Careful man, there's a beverage here!