Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's your favorite 1911 45acp pet load?

What's your favorite 1911 45acp pet load?

I like running a 200gr cast bullet on top of 5.0gr of W-231. Shoots accurate, light recoil and brass lands nice and close. I have a bunch of Extreme plated bullets in 200gr, but havent had a chance to try any out yet, to see if they perform as well as the cast ones.

I dig the Extreme 230 gr with 4.5 grains of Red dot! Burns cleaner then 231 IMO! And also recoil is very manageable. I have to double check it to make sure, but I want to say that the powder charge is the same for my 124 gr 9mm loads. I'll have to check. the charge for sure. But that was the main reason I went with Red dot.

.380, 9mm, .45acp, .38sp/.357mag, .44 mag are my preferred pistol rounds and I load them all with Red dot .

My favorite 45acp load is:
    -200 grain bear creek moly coated
    -5.6 grains AA2
    -CCI large pistol primer
    Shoots clean and cleans up easy. Just a touch below factory loads on the power spectrum. Thanks to Wes for the heads up on the AA2 being excellent.

230 grain plated round nose with 10 grains of AA#7. Makes for a great range/economy load.

Marksman
    I'm still kinda new to it and haven't settled yet.
    I'm trying these now.
    230 xtreme 7.6 ramshot silhouette
    230 xtreme 8.3 aa #5

Junior Shooter
    230 grain extreme with 4.8 AA #2 works great in my commander. Thanks Wes for helping me work up this load.

I switched almost entirely to Accurate powders back in the mid-80s when I discovered #2 was a W-231 replacement and #9 was a W-296 replacement.
    I also started loading for the Garand with Accurate powders then. (I haven't kept up with them and am not sure those equivalencies still stand.)

And that's about when I started quench-casting lead bullets and acquiring bullet moulds. (I'm an old fart - 'molds' grow on bread and cheese - 'moulds' are for forming things.)

So I have vintage Lyman, Ideal and Saeco 4-cavity moulds for .451 SWC range fodder in 180 and 185gr which cast a couple thousandths larger in wheelweight alloy as long as I don't let the melt get too hot, and which I size .451" and lube with a homemade concoction of Alox and bee's wax - I like 6gr of #2 for 900'/s.
    I load below maximum because it reduces muzzle flash and wear on my pistols, so that I can tailor overall length for individual pistols and because it's both the cheapest powder and uses the least powder... cheep cheep cheep. Some of my pistols like the book 1.140 OAL but some feed better at 1.150. By staying below max load, I am free to adjust OAL without worrying about pressure.

If for some reason I wanted to load for accuracy all my records indicate I should use #7 - I guess because it fills the case more which results in more uniform burning. #7 won first place in my heavy (Ruger) .45Colt loads and the most accurate loads had the smallest spread in velocity, hence my guess.
    But #7 in .45acp tends toward large muzzle flashes in the short barreled pistols.
    I've shot so much .44Mag and heavy .45Colt loads that I tend not to notice small changes in .45acp recoil. I really don't know if #7 gives more kick.

LEE 230gr ball quench-cast bullets get 5.3gr #2 as I am trying to duplicate the original military spec of 800'/s, +30/-0. (That's military jargon for 800-830fps)

Changing from regular crimp to the LEE Factory Crimp did more for accuracy and reliability in my .45 loads than any powder change.
    CCI LPPs are favorites but I'm not a fanatic about it in low pressure loads. If you cut coils off your mainsprings or grind the spurs off your hammers to reduce trigger weight you might need more sensitive primers. :(

BTW, Wes and I have dug OP's bullets from our favorite stump as well as our own... those sexy black and blue lubes you see in the grease grooves of many
    commercial lead bullets is still there, undisturbed, when we recover the slugs. It can't be doing its job if none of it is melting or wearing away. By comparison, our 50:50 Alox:bee's wax is GONE from our recovered slugs.

Quote Originally Posted by johnstontl View Post
    230 grain extreme with 4.8 AA #2 works great in my commander. Thanks Wes for helping me work up this load.
    I am currently loading my 230 gr Bear Creeks bullets with 4.6gr of #2. It is a slightly below the minimum starting point, but very accurate, low recoil and brass lands right next to me.

using 200 gr extremes with 5.3 of bullseye and they shoot well.

just got a bunch of zero 230 grain jacketed bullets i na trade, that i need to work up some loads for..all for the 1911's

Junior Shooter
    Don't have any bullets yet, or even a .45 ACP die set yet, but have primers and powder (Unique and Bullseye) on hand. Just inventoried all my equipment and will hopefully start up here in a bit.

Been looking at some cast bullets but can't decide between cast or coated bullets yet.