Thread: My 6.5X47 Lapua build thread

My 6.5X47 Lapua build thread

Today I went and bought dies for a rifle I dont even own or have components for.

I have spent the last several weeks religiously trying to decide what 6.5mm short action to go with. After much reading and debating, I decided I am going to go with the 6.5 Lapua, it has all the qualities I am looking for in a small caliber long range rifle.

I like everything I have read about it, accuracy, low recoil, ease of reloading, no neck turning, low powder capacity and good velocity, can seat at lands and still mag feed. The only complaint I can come up with is the proprietary case is Lapua, but if I had gone with the 260 rem, I would have went with Lapua brass anyways. Only thing I cant do, is convert my 308 brass into 6.5L brass, which I could have done with the 260 Rem, but I want to keep my 308 brass, 308 Brass.

Anyways, back to the dies, I looked all over the net to only see a lot of (out of stock, on back order and such). Shit! I dont want to build a rifle that I cant get dies for. I was able to find a few fl size die set's, but want a neck die set and they are scarce! I found a set at Graf's, only one in stock, so figured it was time to finally shit or get off the pot.

So there you have it, that is what made me finally make my decision on what to do, had there been no dies I probably would have went 260 rem.

www.seattleguns.net

Careful man, there's a beverage here!

Expert marksman
    Have a good time with this. I know alot of guys running the Rbros rifles chambered in this. Rbros is out of elma wa.

It's respectively a new cartridge yet, hope I find it to be what guys are saying it is, wont know til I try it.

www.seattleguns.net

Cool build, i will be following.

As long as mustangfreek keeps that avatar I will be following too

Quote Originally Posted by Sinus211 View Post
    As long as mustangfreek keeps that avatar I will be following too
    What......

....lol

Going with Northwest Action Works on this, they have reasonable prices and I have read a lot of good reviews about their quality and customer service. So far they have been great to deal with, answering all my questions and even giving some suggestions for my build.

I am going with the Remington stainless action, Benchmark stainless bead blasted barrel and a Timney Calvin trigger. Gonna take 4-5 months, so have some time yet to decide on glass and a chassis, but will probably stick to Mcrees since my 308 is in one.

www.seattleguns.net

www.seattleguns.net

Got the rifle done and put together, took about 7 months to get finished, but it turned out nice.
    I havent shot it too much yet, but working on load development right now.
    Here is some pics.

Here is a pic of the rifle compared to a standard factory heavy 20" bbl 308 Winchester, as you can see, it is substantially beefier and heavier.
    The completed rifle weighs 17.7 lbs.

www.seattleguns.net