Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone shooting a 260 Rem??

So steveptr, about this 260 thing as now the more i read about it i like this cartridge.

So say to build one versus buying a savage 12 with the HS stock for $900, what way would/could you do it.

Say like whos barrel, use a used/new action. work needed.. How much? Say with and without a bottom metal/DBM setup?

Im thinking more then the savage...but id like to hear what you think.""""

Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    So steveptr, about this 260 thing as now the more i read about it i like this cartridge.

So say to build one versus buying a savage 12 with the HS stock for $900, what way would/could you do it.

Say like whos barrel, use a used/new action. work needed.. How much? Say with and without a bottom metal/DBM setup?

Im thinking more then the savage...but id like to hear what you think.""""
    Building a rifle can be so much more satisfying than buying one complete. Even with the potential for cost savings with the savage I'd probably build one just for the fun of it. Also I may be taking my 5r to a 260rem when I get tired of shooting .308 in the wind.

Expert marksman
    1911 I'm running a krigger 5r 8 twist cut at 24 inches shooting a 140 at 2800fps.

Mustang you'll be money ahead to build a gun the way you want it the first time playing the monkey fuck game of well I like this I like that do this do that that didn't work Change this change that. Not to mention trying to chase accuracy in a factory gun can be a helluva time. The savage is a good starter you're gonna buy a barrel in 3-4000 rounds anyways at that point you're going to buy a barrel and barrel job have you're action blue printed. I'm not a huge fan of the 260 the neck tension is less then the creed and the case capacity gets taken from the bullet being stuffed in there. I'm using 1.5 grains of powder less then the 260 and shoot the same bullet at the same speeds. I also have the availability of factory ammo in a pinch

Expert marksman
    Buy an action 400-1700
    Stock chassis 500-1800
    Barrel 300-800
    Barrel chambering 200-400
    And then there are the misc costs
    You can do a cheep build or you can balls to the wall. You can complete custom rifles from rbros like I mentioned earlier or from GA Precision
    You can buy an accuracy international or a sako trg.

Steve what 6.5 variant are you running?

think the 260 neck tension thing is a big deal? if i went this way most likely a little factory rem brass and lapua or similiar for the rest.

oh and i get the whole building is much more meaningful and have the AR bug and looking at playin with 1911 builds..But at the prices steve is saying, i think the savage would be a good starter rig for the caliber and has a HS precision stock, which isnt the best but can be made "do-able"

Im not looking to start off with a competitive rifle just a good shooter, shit my last savage 10 , was the newer version and shot under a moa right out of the box with old federal ammo, it was a factory 5R barrel, and had the shitty plastic stock..

i dont know, its not something im doing right now..but soon i hope..

Expert marksman
    As far as neck tension goes there's more contact surface area allowing for a little more grab and possible a little more consistent. I shoot the creedmoor variant. http://demigodllc.com/articles/6.5-s...6.5-creedmoor/

Quote Originally Posted by steveptr View Post
    As far as neck tension goes there's more contact surface area allowing for a little more grab and possible a little more consistent. I shoot the creedmoor variant. http://demigodllc.com/articles/6.5-s...6.5-creedmoor/
    Thanks for the info and link, looks like some good reading, ill look at it later

1911 I'm running a krigger 5r 8 twist cut at 24 inches shooting a 140 at 2800fps.
    I went with the same groove and twist, but going 26" to start with. Ron at Benchmark loves the 3 groove, but it only comes in the 1-8.5 and I really want to stick with the heavy bullets, so 5r and 1-8 it is.

Awesome article, I have read it several times and often go back to it for reference.

www.seattleguns.net

Careful man, there's a beverage here!

Expert marksman
    I picked 24 inches because of the type of shooting I do and I'd like to run a suppressor and be under 36 inches