Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone shooting a 260 Rem??

Quote Originally Posted by steveptr View Post
    Are you wanting to do a custom action like a surgeon or defiance or go with a factory 700 and have it trued? And yeah you'll like the 260 more. Lol
    That is a good question and I am not sure yet. I am also thinking of having Benchmark do the build, there are plenty of places out there, but they are local if I was to have a problem. No shipping!

I am also considering magazine feed. 260 rem decreases my ability to seat at or near the lands, using a aic mag, unless the smith can ream it to work withing the 2.85-2.89 range. I will probably shoot SMK's primarily and Bergers on a good day, so should I even be worrying about it, or seat like my 308 and keep everything at 2.81 and build a load around that.

Now I am wondering if maybe I should go with a 6.5x47L, shouldnt have any problem feeding out of a mag seated at lands with it, since book OAL is 2.700

I normally shoot my 308 single shot with the mag in it and will probably do the same with this rifle, but want to be able to use the mag if need be. I also like the idea of using a Mcrees with this rifle also, might as well stick with one chassis and be comfortable using both rifles.

I spent some time on the net trying to get mag/seating info, but so much crap to wade through, I gave up for now..lol

www.seattleguns.net

Careful man, there's a beverage here!

Expert marksman
    Talk with tom at SPR industries or if your set on benchmark doing the work Chris at benchmark Both great guys to work with remember you can buy a benchmark barrel and have some else turn it. I personally use Tom and I've also had a benchmark gun and shoot with the benchmark guys too. The only reason i was asking about the action is you can watch the Remington youth 243 guns to go on sale pick one up cheaper then you can an action have it blueprinted then be money ahead. Little secrete i learned from one of my other gunsmith friends.

Remington youth 243 guns to go on sale
    I did this with my 308, Cabelas had them 50 off, rem has a 50 rebate and I had 50 on my rewards card. I basically got my barreled action for $299.99
    These were the Varmint ADL's.

www.seattleguns.net

Expert marksman
    Same basic idea.

I keep forgetting Tom does builds. Maybe I will have him set me up when I am ready.

www.seattleguns.net

Quote Originally Posted by steveptr View Post
    Talk with tom at SPR industries or if your set on benchmark doing the work Chris at benchmark Both great guys to work with remember you can buy a benchmark barrel and have some else turn it. I personally use Tom and I've also had a benchmark gun and shoot with the benchmark guys too. The only reason i was asking about the action is you can watch the Remington youth 243 guns to go on sale pick one up cheaper then you can an action have it blueprinted then be money ahead. Little secrete i learned from one of my other gunsmith friends.

Some good info.

So the youth rem 700, 243?

Is this just for the 260 rem setups?

Expert marksman
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    Some good info.

So the youth rem 700, 243?

Is this just for the 260 rem setups?
    No you're buying a Remington 700 youth model chambered in 243 Winchester to then take and throw the stock and barrel away to do a build off of the action. Because a action is in the 450 to 500 range and you can get one of these rifles for 250-300 you're saving money
    Now you can build anything that uses a 308win bolt face

Last edited by steveptr; 06-17-2014 at 06:20 AM.

End of thread, finally made my decision...

http://www.precisionhandloader.com/s...ndwiches-again

www.seattleguns.net

test

www.seattleguns.net

Steve, what groove and twist you running on your 6.5??

www.seattleguns.net