Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone shooting a 260 Rem??

Anyone shooting a 260 Rem??

I love the 308 platform, very accurate, short action, cheap to reload, low recoil, lots of info available and I could go on and on.
    My Dad has a 6.5 A-Square and it shoots fantastic, the bullets have a crazy high b.c. and it got me thinking about the 260 Rem.

Anyone shooting one?? Thoughts??
    Seems to be very popular with the Bench rest guys.

www.seattleguns.net

Careful man, there's a beverage here!

I have no feedback but I really like the idea of the 260. Like you said wicked b.c.'s I would like to build one. Probably better barrel life then the 6.5-06 or 6.5-284. Where exactly is the 6.5 A square lie in there?

Quote Originally Posted by J-Rod View Post
    I have no feedback but I really like the idea of the 260. Like you said wicked b.c.'s I would like to build one. Probably better barrel life then the 6.5-06 or 6.5-284. Where exactly is the 6.5 A square lie in there?
    The A-Square is the new term for the 6.5-06 wildcat. I am sure the A-square barrel life is much better than the 264 win mag, but not near as good as a cartridge based off a 308 winchester case.
    Some of the 140gr .264 bullets have a bc over 600, which is insane. Bergers have great bc's and the 264 130gr bullets is 50 points higher than the 168 .308 bc.

www.seattleguns.net

Expert marksman
    I really really contemplated the 260 Remington but ended up going to 6.5 creedmoor. Realistically they are about the same i just use a bout a grain less powder. I have lots of friends that shoot the 260 and its a great cartridge. The BCs are greater. What are you looking for? If you dont shoot more then 1-3000 rounds through one rifle a year and want great super ballistics look at the 6mm SLR or the 6mm creedmoor similar to the 243 but a little better barrel life

Expert marksman
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911 View Post
    The A-Square is the new term for the 6.5-06 wildcat. I am sure the A-square barrel life is much better than the 264 win mag, but not near as good as a cartridge based off a 308 winchester case.
    Some of the 140gr .264 bullets have a bc over 600, which is insane. Bergers have great bc's and the 264 130gr bullets is 50 points higher than the 168 .308 bc.
    Your talking a magnum vs a 308 case necked down the barrel life is going to be signiantly different. You want supper BCs Look at the 26 nosler. New last year. 600 G1 BC. Theres a new measurement out the G7 BC http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...-need-to-know/ Get the book by Bian Litz. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/593...-by-bryan-litz

Last edited by steveptr; 06-10-2014 at 10:28 PM.

Some good info steveptr.

I also have thrown around the idea of a 6.5 creedmoor or one of the 6mm variants.

I havent checked out any of the 6mm stuff yet, but read a lot on the 260, 6.5 cr and the 6.5x47 and the 6.5cr is intriguing. Hornady ammo is well liked and priced almost the same loaded, as Lapua brass, so buy that already loaded and go shoot good ammo and fire form brass at the same time, saves a decent amount of money!

I will probably never go shoot a match, but I want a super accurate rifle for shooting long distance's and will more than likely only shoot 500-800 rounds a year out of it. I will check out the 6mm stuff, but I like the heavier bullets in a short action rig, which is why I am looking at the 6.5 caliber. I am already set up for 308 and was thinking a 6.5 for my next build, which may take a year or so to do, so want to make sure I make the right decision the first time.

www.seattleguns.net

Expert marksman
    Between the 3 there is no wrong or correct choice. You can form 6.5 creed from just about any of the 308cases in the family as long as they start of longer the trim length.

After some more reading and thinking, I will probably go with the 260, since I am already set up well for 308 and might as well keep it in the family.

Next step is save up for the action and slowly start accumulating reloading components.
    My only fear, is that if I do this, I may not like shooting my 308 anymore...lol

www.seattleguns.net

Expert marksman
    Are you wanting to do a custom action like a surgeon or defiance or go with a factory 700 and have it trued? And yeah you'll like the 260 more. Lol