Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lapua brass prep.

lapua brass prep.

Had an impulse buy at Cabelas today. The results, two boxes of Lapua 308 brass. Kind of regret it, but hey its on the reloading bench now. I'm just getting into the rifle stuff. Whats the SOP of processing this stuff? Should I go to workup mode? Should this be fire formed first? What's the SOP for fire forming for precision loads? My plan is to try some Hornady SST so I can target shoot and maybe hunt too? Or should I do two loads one paper and one hunting? I don't have delusions of sniper gradure. Just want to see what this rifle can do and hone my shooting and reloading skills. I'm excited about this but a little intimidated and slightly lost. thank J-Rod Please don't bust my chops about the purchase..I know, I know

Ive only played with lapua brass a very little, would size like normal and work it like a regular load. Different bullets is not a bad thing, just will need to work up some loads...Oh well the fun of this game.

not much help, but also check weights/h20 capacity. As i remember them being different then commercial brass.

Lapua is made in the Lake City plant and is the finest brass money can buy, but it isn't perfect, but can be with a little work.
    Also as mustang said, being it's slightly thicker, capacity is slightly less. So start slightly lower than normal with charges.
    I picked up some also and here is what I did to mine.

Full length sized it.
    Trimmed to length and chamferred.
    Deburred the flash holes.
    Uniformed the primer pockets.
    Now it is perfect brass.

I havent loaded it up yet, but getting close, just been shooting up some various stuff and test rounds.
    I will probably load it first with some bulk match bullets, fire form it and then load it with smk's or berger vld's for paper shooting.

www.seattleguns.net

Careful man, there's a beverage here!

Primer pockets and flash holes huh. I guess I'm needing some more tools too. No sense in skimping now. Kinda blew my "you know what" on the brass. Payday soon. I need some recomendations on tools guys.

I will take a pic of mine. I cant remember what brands I got, but happy with them and they dont cost very much.
    My uniformer is made to mount in a drill motor and is the way to go, saves a lot of time and easier on your hands.
    I will try and get a pic up tonight.

www.seattleguns.net

I found the packaging for the uniformer and its a Redding, I also bought the adapter to chuck it to a drill, but have a second one and I think it may have came with it in the first place. I am not sure what brand my flashhole deburrer is, but its in the pic and works pretty nice. The wood handle is comfy and doesnt fatigue the hands too bad.

Some good advice, uniform the pockets, before trim and chamfer. The case mouth can get sharp, when uniforming with the drill, it is possible to "core" sample your hand.
    The uniform and flash holes are like swaging primer pockets, once done, you dont ever have to do it again.

www.seattleguns.net

Expert marksman
    I just loaded resized trimmed to length and repeat to make it last the longest full length size and bump the shoulder about .001-.002 and you can possibly get 10 loading out of it.

I forgot that I need a case gauge too. More tools! I want to get the most life out of them I can. 10 loads would be fantastic.

Expert marksman
    Hornady lock and load caliper atachment is what you need.

Got my primer pocket uniformer and did up 100 rounds. Very much suprised at the variance in the pockets. They looked really good out of the box but when hit with the cutter you see the manufacturing tolerances. Some were humped in the middle, alot were crooked. Alot of work. Now they are all perfect! Still need the flash hole tool.