Thread: Who has done some experimenting with .300 blkout?

Marksman

Who has done some experimenting with .300 blkout?

I really want to give this round a shot, and since I recently sold my hunting rifle, i'm leaning even more so towards a spare AR upper in this caliber for my next deer rifle. I am looking to have success out to probably 150 yards max, and would like to use a heavier bullet as I have a bunch of leftover 168gr nosler bullets leftover from my old Remington 700 .308.....

If you have any had any success or failures with this round, especially in the heavier bullet weights I would very much appreciate you sharing.

Thanks!

Last edited by Barfly; 12-12-2013 at 02:27 PM.

Junior Shooter
    Works great for hunting zombies and you have it suppressed!

Marksman
    yeah, if I can ever afford to buy a suppressor and force myself to deal with the wait time on the stamp.....

I just havent been bit by the 300 blackout bug yet, it seems like it is more geared for a short range/ close quarters combat.

Not that impressed with it, even to hunt in washington with a Ar i would go with the 6.8 over the blackout..has it has better ballistics and range capabilty..Just my opinion.. Maybe one day..

Junior Shooter
    The inherent difficulty with the 300 blk cartridge is muzzle velocity. you'll want to verify that the your Noslers (or other bullets) will expand at the impact velocities you can expect from a 300. If the velocity is below the range for reliable expansion, then your bullet will behave like a FMJ which won't be helpful for hunting. I would have to check my data, but IIRC 168s are too heavy to for the 300 blk to be fast enough to expand in any of Noslers product categories, so you probably wont be able to utilize the bullets you have. To that point, lighter weight bullets in the 110-120gr range will be the most favorable, as you have the opportunity to push them fast enough to initiate reliable expansion.

What barrel length are you considering going with? Where in the state are you planning on hunting?

Note - I do recognize how old this thread is :)

Junior Shooter
    I chose the 6.5 Grendel over the 300 Blackout and I have been very happy with the results.