Thread: Case head seperation or not?

Case head seperation or not?

I've rounded up 75 or so rounds of 30-40 Krag brass. Decaped and cleaned everything up. Noticed some rounds have a distinct bulge right at the web. Obviously fired from a rifle with a rather worn or oversized chamber. My question is this the start of case seperation or not? Will this resize out with FL dies?I would like to sell this stuff off but if there is any question about this brass I'll recycle it without hesitating. I don't want to take the chance of someone being displeased or worse hurt. I've really only done pistol stuff and havent run across this yet. Hope a more experience person could help out. Thanks in advance. Jason

That is an amazing pic, or that is a pretty noticeable bulge in that brass. It may reduce with sizing, but it's stretched enough now, that I would hazard to guess it's been weakened and case separation is likely. Maybe not the next shot, but sooner than later and I would place it in your recycle bucket.

That's too bad too, don't see much 30-40 krag brass for sale these days and I know some old timers still enjoy shooting it.

www.seattleguns.net

Careful man, there's a beverage here!

I'll take your advice. In the bucket they go. Onto the next bag of brass.