Thread: My best group ever!

My best group ever!

I went shooting today with my new R700 heavy barrel rifle for the first time. I circumcised the barrel, lightened the trigger and placed it in a Mcrees Chassis. I sighted in at 25 yards to get close and wanted to fine tune at 100, but bench placement didnt allow this, so had to do it at 262yards. I took a couple shots and realized I was about 10 inches low and 2 inches to the left, instead of adjusting my scope, I just dropped it down to the first half mil line below my cross hair and fired four shots. The first three shots were in the same vicinity of each other and the last shot was 2" below, not sure why, it felt good when I let her go, but didnt hit it's mark. The first three were outstanding! The square boxes on the target are one square inch and those three shots are much less.

Recipe was Winchester brass, fire formed in a Howa...lol, flash holes deburred, primer pockets uniformed, trimmed to length, 44.0gr Varget, Hornady 165gr SST bullet seated at 2.810 OAL and no crimp. I had loaded these when I had my Howa, these were the only four rounds I had left, so decided to just shoot them up.

www.seattleguns.net

Careful man, there's a beverage here!

Which 700 did you start with? The Varmit SPS or the Tactical SPS? What length barrel did you end up with? Sweet group!! Seems the short fat barrels in .308 work freakishly good. My 700 Tactical with 20 inch tube shoots way better than it should with me behind the wheel. Not as tight as that but I have only shot factory stuff through it. Hope some handloads comes close to what you got. Again...Nice Group!

Cabelas had a deal on Varmint ADL's for $399 and $50 rebate. I picked one of them up and was only $325 with my rewards I had saved up. The ADL has no hinged floor plate, but no big, if going into a chassis. The Varmint SPS is the same rifle, but hinged floor plate. Stock had a 26" bbl and I cut it down to 21" and put a 11 degree crown on it. I was going to go 20", but wasnt sure on future threading, so went with 21 for now.

www.seattleguns.net

Careful man, there's a beverage here!

Marksman
    Very nice!

Nice looking group there buddy! 262 is a challenging "fine tuning" distance