Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Stainless Media Tumbler

Damn that thing looks beefy!!!

One day im going to jump into the wet tumbling deal, waiting for a spare motor to pop up and ill think ill just make my own setup. Seen some pretty good writeups and for the amount i do, i dont need a real big one...but that bling thing is a thing to be jealous o..very clean and clean primer pockets too boot!!! jealous..

I got the drum loaded with about 140 .308 brass, 1 nasty fucked up looking piece of .40sw brass I found on the road today and a few old pennies. Thanks Jason, had to dig through my change box for ugly pennies..lol

I am gonna get a batch going after breakfast tomorrow. I cant wait to see the results.

www.seattleguns.net

Careful man, there's a beverage here!

First batch is done and the results were outstanding. Brass looks like brand new, just like it does out of the package, in fact maybe better.

The F'd up ugly piece turned out to be steel, but came out alright.

I ran it for four hours, ran it through the media separator filled with hot water and then placed the brass in a colander and rinsed with hot water.
    Every piece of media was in the bottom of the separator, I rinsed the media, drained and placed it back in the drum.

The brass is currently drying on a towel and I give it a stir every now and than.

I ended up tumbling the brass with 2tbl of Dawn and 1/4tsp of lemishine.

So far I am quite pleased, as I do a few more batches, it will get simpler each time I do it.

www.seattleguns.net

Been 24 hours since the first batch and I have been doing the towel dry method. I have been stirring them around every couple of hours, most are dry already, but a few with a lil water in them. If winter time, I think I would place them on a cookie sheet on low in the oven, or in one of those harbor freight dehydrators. Gonna be warm tomorrow, so going to place in a sheet pan and place in the sun on my deck, should be nice and dry by evening.

www.seattleguns.net

The cookie sheet on a warm deck in full sunshine works great for drying the brass.

My first batch I ran for 4 hours, which I think was longer than needed for once fired brass, but perfect for old crusty stuff. I just ran my second batch for 2 hours, they look as good on the outsides as the 4 hour batch, but not quite as shiny inside and the primer pockets have a lil dirt on the edges of the pocket still. I think the ideal time for once fired is gonna be 3 hours. If you dont clean your primer pockets, than just run it for two hours and you will be happy.

www.seattleguns.net

Ran a batch today for 3 hours, perfect time for brass that isnt too dirty or found on a road somewhere. I did find a glitch in the system though, seems the media has a length of .264ish, 1 out of every 4 of my 6.5 brass had media jammed crossways into the neck and was a pain to pick them out.

I emailed stainless media asking if they have different sizes, which I dont think they do and asked if they have thought of making media in a length size less than .223, as most reloaders shoot calibers ranging from .223-.458, will see what they say.

www.seattleguns.net

I got a reply back from STM and they dont make a smaller size media and said that this has been a problem for guys tumbling "sized" .264 brass. He recommended running my brass before sizing it, which is fine if neck sizing, since I wont be lubing the brass. Nice thing about stainless is it cleans the primer pockets, so looks like I will be getting a decapping only die and adding another step to reloading 6.5 until they come out with a different size media.

www.seattleguns.net

Bummer! Only problem I've had is once in awhile I'll get 2 pins jammed in a flash hole. Get stuck pretty good too. Have to pull them out with needle nose pliers.

I keep picturing that thing getting really angry and chasing you around the house