Thread: Lyman wad cutter lube grooves

Lyman wad cutter lube grooves

Did some workups on my 38 special wad cutters. Lyman mould button nose wadcutters. used both 231 and Reddot. got excellent groups at about 800 feet per second with both. Seems a littte fast for wad cutters. I filled all 3 lube grooves. Too much lube I think. the 686 seemed to be pretty greasy. Should I only fill 2 or maybe even 1 groove?

800 is std .38 velocity... most target shooters opt for 650-700fps as there's no need for terminal destruction and it's SO mild, like .22LR.

As for lube; it don't hurt nuthin'. Cleans with bore solvents. No need to skimp as far as I know. An interesting observation is to recover an intact bullet and see if the lube is actually being used or is simply carried downrange with the bullet. If the latter, a different lube is in order.

I forgot to recover some bullets. I did a batch of Hunters Supply awhile back and when we found some bullets the nice blue lube was 100 percent intact. Thats when I decided to try casting my own. I've been using a homemade lube because I refused to pay the prices of the commercial ones. I've been tinkering with "Ben's Red". I got the recipe from another forum. People have been raving about it and most of the stuff I can gleen from work. Bee keeper is also about 2 miles down the road. Wax is cheap.The lube is very sticky and messy though. Seems to work good but I haven't pushed anything yet. Will definately remember to recover some next time.

Dug some out of the wood this last time. Lube all gone! Need to do some hot 357 loads and see how it does.