Thread: Remington "Classic" Hunter build **Updated**

Remington "Classic" Hunter build **Updated**

A few of you know I am working on an old school classic look hunting rifle build. I wanted to get an old school look rifle like my grandpa hunted with, but there is a problem, wood stock rifles are hard to come by and way over priced, so I decided to do one myself. I found a sale at cabelas on r700 308 adl scoped rifles for $449.00 and ordered a boyds walnut stock with the ebony fore arm front for under $150.00, so was able to keep the cost of the rifle at a reasonable cost vs most similar rifles that run 800-1100. I am still waiting on the stock, but will post pics of it so far and will post pics when done, should be next week if the stock shows on time. Out of the adl models, the 243 would probably have been the most suitable for deer, but all my rifles are 308, so sticking to one caliber and a 308 will be just fine.

Here is the stock look.

Here is after I installed a new scope on it. I went with a basic size Leupold 4-12x40 scope, this is a hunting rifle, so weight and compact is key.

Today I shortened the 24" bbl down to 20.5" and recrowned it with a 11 degree target crown. I wanted it shorter than 24" and from what I have read, 308 has a sweet spot for velocity at 24-26 and 20-21.

I also ordered a pillar bedding system from stocky's and will install that before wrapping it up and will post more pics when done.

The stock came in today and I am quite pleased with it. Boyd's called it "American walnut", I was a little scared of this, as I have seen some pretty sorry ass looking stocks labeled "american walnut".
    The grain is pretty decent for the price point. The rifle looks great, but isn't quite done yet, still have to pillar bed it and glass bed the action. I have all the stuff, so hopefully will have it buttoned up by the end of the week.

Oh dude that black tipped stock looks outstanding! Awesome seeing a modern classic come to life!

A two piece scope base would have looked more "classic", but look at that scope placement, wouldnt have worked with those. I cant believe how far forward I had to set it, to get a full field of view, wont have to worry about getting hit by it..lol

www.seattleguns.net

Careful man, there's a beverage here!

Expert marksman
    It looks Great. Go get your self a deer and then its venison BBQ time.

Good looking rifle, Norm! I'd like to read the step-by-step on barrel shortening and crowning.
    I rather like the Weaver bases but they weren't available back in the day, nor did they have
    many long eye relief scopes such as Leupold is famous for. Minor differences, and you achieved
    the goal as far as I'm concerned. Your rifle is gorgeous and the stock 'shines' especially.
    I suppose you could mill the extension off the Weaver base to reduce its modernity. Two piece
    bases combined with forward offset rings might have worked. But, again, it works fine just as it is.

Thanks Larry.

The crowning was actually quite simple and doesnt take much time at. Just need a cordless drill motor, sawzall/hacksaw and the crowning kit. You will also need a small file, small brush and some 3 in 1 oil. The kit my cousin has is a Manson non lathe kit. Brownells shows it for $360.00, but he got the kit with two caliber adapters for around $160.00. I can probably find out where he got it from. If doing a blued rifle, you will need a bottle of cold bluing to re blue the crown, we used the Birchwood Casey and it worked fine.

I will include a link I found online that is pretty close to the process we did and a link with the tool kit he got. The link I found just shows what it looks like, he didnt rent it.
    The bit is carbide and should last a long time. So far we have done 7 or 8 rifles and 2 bull barrel 22 Ruger marks with it.

http://guntoolrentals.com/shop/muzzl...ol-kit-manson/
    http://rifleshooter.com/2012/08/cut-...-target-crown/

www.seattleguns.net

Careful man, there's a beverage here!

That is one sweet looking rifle! Love a nice wood stocked bolty. I always seem to gravitate towards a wood stock instead of the newer composite style, and how yours looks is one reason. Keep up the good work.