Thread: I need a go to 9mm load

I need a go to 9mm load

I know I'll catch some flak for this but anyway..I no longer have a 9mm but a Police Officer friend of mine does. He also is the Range officer for the local P.D. He doesn't reload. See where I'm going here?! I have about 500 Hornady 115g hp XTP's and double that in brass. Also some CCI primers I probably wont use. I have Red Dot, HP-38, and Power Pistol powders. I need to load up some encouragement so maybe he will let me clean up the range after the P.D. training sessions. Don't worry these are for RECREATION use only NOT DUTY loads.He carrys a 40 anyway. I would like basic cycles a gun, goes bang, super safe loads. I leaning towards 4.0 of Reddot but would like to use up the Power Pistol also. Hell should I just forget the idea? I know reloading stuff for someone else is a basic no-no. I would like to do a favor to get one in return and heck I'll probably get the brass back anyways. Happy reloading! J-Rod

When I was reloading 9mm, I was loading 115gr plated bullets with w231/hp-38 at 4.4gr and avg speed was 1145fps in a S&W M&P 5". My Lee book shows that powder starting at 4.7 and ending at 5.1.
    I cant remember if my load was with factory recoil spring or the lighter aftermarket one I installed later, so 4.4 may not cycle well in a stock glock or other plastic gun. I know it will run in a 1911.

When I was reloading for my XDM all of my workups yielded far more velocity than the books listed. Every single load, different powders, different bullets, different primers all got about 250 fps faster than listed. I got a little tweeked out and basically quit doing workups. Never used the HP-38 though. Shortly after than sold it and bought the Ruger 1911. I got 1243 fps and 19 fps deviation out of 4.0 of Reddot and grouped well(meters like crap)Got 1434 out of 6.4 powerpistol very fast out of the XDM.

Shortly after than sold it and bought the Ruger 1911.
    +1 on the 1911 upgrade! I want to get one in the commander option.

I hated reloading for 9mm and glad I got away from it. Now I just load 45, 38spc and 357. Hp-38 is a fantastic powder for 45acp and 38 spc, it is basically w-231 and my favorite powder for 45acp and 38spc. It is a lil dirtier than AA#2, but its accuracy makes up for it.