Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Buck Board Bacon

Hey guys.. Buck board bacon still has 7 days to go before smoking.I've got pics all the way through. Will post them when I'm done. By the way made 85 LBS of various sausages last weekend betweeen me and my shooting buddy. Looking at meat made me want to hurl after that. Wife thought it looked like an evil murder movie!!Turned out great though.

85#'s! Awesome! I have gotten to that point a few times, you just dont even want to look at anymore.

Heres the results of the Buck Board Bacon. Failed to get pictures of the "sausage fest" but anyway. Basic 14 day dry cure. Wash and 24hr equalization. Then 4-5 hour hickory smoke to internal temp of 128 degrees per my book. Will obviously need cooked at that temp. Next time will smoke to 140 to see the texture difference and also can be eaten as is. Looks freakin awesome!! Tastes very good but after baby sitting for 5 hours all I could smell was smoked meat. On my skin, In my cloths, etc. Wasn't too interested in eating much. Friend of mine said it was "Awesome" Texture is very good, Looks like a million bucks, and for $0.99 lb I highly recommend you try it yourself. Happy BBQing J-Rod

Last edited by J-Rod; 03-16-2014 at 05:16 PM.

Looks fantastic!

Marksman
    Looks awesome. It's been a year or two since I made any. Do You use a premixed cure or your own blend?

1 Tablespoon per pound both Morton Tender Quick and raw sugar. Rub into meat.Put in ziplock bag. Let sit 7 days per inch of thickness.Flip/rotate every day. Rinse well and let sit 24hr uncovered in the fridge then smoke to 127-128 internal. 138-140 if you want to eat raw. Can sprinkle with cracked pepper before equalizing in the fridge. Simple, but time consuming. Well worth the effort. My mothers bacon recipe, Thanks Mom.

Damn looks good, and thanks for the info/ idea..Will have to try this sometime.

Note to self to check for cheap pork butts in February. I was hoping this sale was in the fall, oh well, can wait til feb.

www.seattleguns.net

Careful man, there's a beverage here!

Haven't seen any that cheap since. Next time they are $0.99 a pound I'm filling the freezer!!Almost out of sausage too.

Quote Originally Posted by J-Rod View Post
    Heres the results of the Buck Board Bacon. Failed to get pictures of the "sausage fest" but anyway. Basic 14 day dry cure. Wash and 24hr equalization. Then 4-5 hour hickory smoke to internal temp of 128 degrees per my book. Will obviously need cooked at that temp. Next time will smoke to 140 to see the texture difference and also can be eaten as is. Looks freakin awesome!! Tastes very good but after baby sitting for 5 hours all I could smell was smoked meat. On my skin, In my cloths, etc. Wasn't too interested in eating much. Friend of mine said it was "Awesome" Texture is very good, Looks like a million bucks, and for $0.99 lb I highly recommend you try it yourself. Happy BBQing J-Rod
    Did you just "butterfly" the whole pork butt to simulate "bacon" or is their a particular technique you used?

www.seattleguns.net

Careful man, there's a beverage here!