Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buck Board Bacon

Buck Board Bacon

Picked up about 50 pounds of pork shoulders today. Got the itch to do some buck board bacon and some pulled pork this weekend. Anyone got a good tried and true cure for some buckboard bacon? Probably turn most into breakfast sausage. Shooting buddy picked up a wicked Cabelas meat grinder. The thing is AWESOME !! would probably grind most of your arm off before it hurt. Hope to turn this years elk(cross my fingers!!)into burger and summer sausage. Got off track though... Any cure recipes floating around

I have never done buck board bacon. I picked up some awhile back at Albertsons and it was quite good.

I have a good brine recipe for regular bacon that I posted up on SGN, I will look for the link and post it here, not sure how it would work with shoulders, but is awesome with bellies.

Here is the link, recipe and pics are all on the page.

http://seattleguns.net/showthread.ph...-Bacon!!/page2

This originally started as a dry rub recipe, but took an entire week to make and was a lot of work, so I decided to simplify it into a brine and a 1-2 day process. results were the same and a lot less work.

Should work fine. Shoulder are $0.98 a pound right now. Cheap and tasty! Made about 12 pounds of Chorizo out of the last couple. Very good for breakfast burritos!

I noticed safeway is having a sale, will have to make my way there in the next few days, time for a Ronco rotisserie sunday night pork butt!

10 pounds of buckboard bacon curing in the fridge. 10 pound shoulder brining on the back porch for pulled pork. 20 pounds is going to be turned into breakfast sausage and brats sunday. I really like when the shoulders go on sale! Just can't forget to take my cholesterol meds.Long live pork!...well you know what I mean.

Just can't forget to take my cholesterol meds.Long live pork!
    I am afraid to get mine checked!

Marksman
    J-Rod sounds like we have some of the same hobbies. I make my own Brats and breakfast sausage and make a killer smoked butt. I have a hard time buying store bought stuff because I am so cheap, I get my pork butts at Cash and carry usually around $1.15 and on sale around .98 a pound. Here is a link to my spicy Brats.

http://seattleguns.net/showthread.ph...ighlight=Brats

Upriver..I hear you there. My daughter was puzzled why I make my own sausage etc. I took her to buy a package of Jimmy Dean sausage. It was 5 something a pound. Then showed her the 8 pound shoulder that was 8 bucks. I think she gets it now. I really enjoy it as a hobby though.Runs in my family! Havent perfected the smoked butt yet but getting there. Brats are so good because you can make them so many different ways. Made a batch with diced cheddar and Jalapenos. Wicked good!! Cant see the SGN threads I havent signed up yet.

Here's the recipe from the bacon thread. I imagine it would work fine for buckboard bacon as well.

Savory Bacon Brine

1gal of water
    1 cup + 1tbl sugar
    1 cup of kosher salt
    1tbl pink curing salt
    2tbl of ground pepper
    2tsp ground fennel seeds
    2tsp of ground caraway seeds
    2tsp of ground rosemary
    2tsp of thyme
    4 crushed bay leaves

Mix all ingredient together til salt and sugar is dissolved and brine pork belly 24-48 hours, drain and pad dry, smoke til internal temp reaches 145-150
    I grind all my spices in a coffee mill to approximately a medium to coarse grind.
    If you dont have a smoker, you can do this in the oven on 250 til internal temp is reached.