Thread: Seating on the lands or off the lands??

Seating on the lands or off the lands??

I was taught to achieve best accuracy, to always seat up on the lands or .002-003 of the lands. After reading Steveptr's post on Coal and the attached article, I started doing some more research and reading. http://www.bergerbullets.com/effects...e-cbto-part-1/

It seems from what I have read, a majority of shooter's find their rifles have a sweet spot and prefer to seat from .015 to .030 off the lands and prefer the bullet to hit the riflings with a slight "running" start vs being forced with resistance from the start. Some bullet manufacture's, such as Barnes advise to seat a minimum of .050 off the lands and even Berger now recommends seating off the lands.

I took a load that I know shoots well and loaded up some ladder rounds to test this weekend, I loaded 3 at .010 off, 3 at .020 off and 3 at .030 off. I probably should have done another set at .040 and .050, but will see what these do and go from there.

I also read that most find, that once they find that sweet spot, it seems to stay constant and doesnt matter what bullet is used in the rifle, just as long as the ogive of that bullet is in the sweet spot off the lands on each load.

Have seen it first hand. My shooting partner worked up a load for older 30/30. He started fairly far off the lands with the same load. At a certain point the closer he got off the lands the group opened up significantly. This was an old break open rifle, hardly anything precision.But the adjustment in OAL made quite a difference. Hope you find out your pet load may just get better. Makes me want to get off my butt and get some loads for the 308 rolling.

With the popularity of box fed bolt actions, "hybrid" bullets are becoming more available, which makes seat depth less critical...Supposedly.

I am gonna try some .264 scenar-L's and see how they do.

www.seattleguns.net

Careful man, there's a beverage here!